Guinness Clock - Corn Exchange

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
SPARTACUS

Post by SPARTACUS »

I always remember the Guiness Clock at the Corn Exchange. Used to meet the missus there regularly. So did everyone else it seemed !Always remember a clock at the bottom of Briggate where the buses stopped. Opposite where the Stylo shoe shop was. I believe its a McDonalds now.Dixons jewellers also had a clock everyone knew about and used to meet beneath it.
The Slaves are Restless

gaelicstorm

Post by gaelicstorm »

Think you mean Dysons there mate, not DixonsAlan

skippy

Post by skippy »

the clock at the corn exchange was a populer meeting place also dysons in lower briggate why did things have to change ? it was part of leeds history
brenda littlejohn

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

The Dyson's clock and drop ball (which marked national time from Greenwich) is still there - outside what is now Georgetown Restaurant. The restaurant looks fantastic too - they've kept all of the inside features, even all the little wooden booths and counters I remember from when I went in as a kid with me mam.dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

skippy wrote: the clock at the corn exchange was a populer meeting place also dysons in lower briggate why did things have to change ? it was part of leeds history The Guiness clock is mentioned in Keith Waterhouse's "City Lights" ladies in a certain line of business were reputed to wait under it.
Industria Omnia Vincit

slw

Post by slw »

I have been searching for a picture of the Guinness clock but cannot find one (I have checked Leodis etc). Can anybody tell me where i might a picture of it please ?

Samson

Post by Samson »

Usually a lot of pleading brings results on here.I too would love to see a picture of the Guinness clock. I used to meet new dates there, but as i think back I don't know why. It was always a case of if you met someone and asked them out, you met them under the Guinness clock. Once I arrived early for one of these meetings and there was a whole line of people waiting for their dates under the clock. Each stood about one yard from the other!
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Samson wrote: Usually a lot of pleading brings results on here.I too would love to see a picture of the Guinness clock. I used to meet new dates there, but as i think back I don't know why. the number of buses that stopped at the Corn Exchange Interchange or very close by perhaps?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

slw wrote: I have been searching for a picture of the Guinness clock but cannot find one (I have checked Leodis etc). Can anybody tell me where i might a picture of it please ? It definitely appears on many of the pictures of The Corn Exchange bus/tram island but, after a brief look through mine, I haven't located one just yet. Will keep trying when time permits - pardon the pun     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

slw

Post by slw »

Thanks Blakey Will have another look on Leodis as well - searching under Corn Exchange