The clock that used to be at Heatons.

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On page 5 of the 'Leeds City Transport' thread Phill_dvsn posted a great image of an old LCT bus. Behind the bus the clock that used to be on the Heatons building (later H. W. Poole and now Crispin Lofts) is seen. I can recall there being a clock there but not when it was removed. Does anyone know when it was removed and what might have happened to it?I've never tried this before so I hope it works (big on my face if it does!) but this is the photo:-Wow, the image came up!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

James

Post by James »

I don't know what happened to Heaton's clock, but according to an online history I found by Tim Heaton - whose family founded the business, the firm closed down in the late 1970s (he isn't more specific than that). I expect he might know when the clock was removed.I believe in the heyday of tailoring companies in Leeds, Heatons manufactured ready to wear clothes for women.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that James.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I don't know why I did not think of doing it before but I've just done a search of the Leodis website and found a photo of Crispin House (as it was then called) that was taken on October 29 1999. It shows the clock was there then, so it has not been removed as long as I thought. I wonder if it was removed during the development work to change the building to residential flats. If so perhaps it might get replaced at some stage. This is the link to the photo in Leodis:- http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Congrats, Leo, on image in threadmust say I love those half-cab buses. The raw excitement of jumping off that bit too early and having to run at about 22mph.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Congrats, Leo, on image in threadmust say I love those half-cab buses. The raw excitement of jumping off that bit too early and having to run at about 22mph. And the uncertainty of running after the bus fast enough to be able to catch it and hop on!