Round the midnight hour

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Crazy Jane wrote: I'm not quite following, you mean they closed the wards there sometime after last October?The view was clean across the square, he was way cheesed off because it was an isolation ward (i don;t know if that is a normal thing or just while swine flu was a concern) so i stayed a while longer and we chatted about what all the buildings are now and the activity and stuff.Very definitely still taking NHS in-patients at that point though. When the Square was suggested Jane, a major objection was the noise in relation to the hospital. One posibility which was aired at the time was that the Brotherton Wing may be given over to day-use.When writing above, I was as stated, unsure of whether or not it was still an in-patient unit - clearly from replies and enquiries, it is.My observation otherwise was that when Brotherton was built, noise from the Square was not an issue because of course it didn't exist whereas the Town Hall did thus, there could be an element of accuracy in the reasoning for the silencing of the bell at night from those early days.I wonder if Munki has seen any recorded information about his 'daytime home' in respect of this

tilly

Post by tilly »

Re the lions at Leeds Town Hall i once read that they were made for Nelsons Column London but were rejected.They were then bought by Leeds City Council for the town hall.Does anyone know if this is true.?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

liits

Post by liits »

tilly wrote: Re the lions at Leeds Town Hall i once read that they were made for Nelsons Column London but were rejected.They were then bought by Leeds City Council for the town hall.Does anyone know if this is true.? I remember a question from a pub quiz on the same subject. The Trafalgar Square lions were designed by Edwin Landseer and the Leeds Town Hall lions were allegedly designed by Edwin Lutyens but he didn’t like the end result and denied all knowledge of then. The truth of the matter seems to be that they were made by a chap named William Day Keyworth and the rest of it is rubbish. This from some other website "The LionsThe lions on either side of were an addition to the original design. The first two lions were unveiled on 15th February 1867, the others on 7th June. The sculptor was William Day Keyworth Jnr, and the cost of the lions was £550. Each one is made from two pieces of Portland stone with zig zag joints."

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: tilly wrote: Re the lions at Leeds Town Hall i once read that they were made for Nelsons Column London but were rejected.They were then bought by Leeds City Council for the town hall.Does anyone know if this is true.? I remember a question from a pub quiz on the same subject. The Trafalgar Square lions were designed by Edwin Landseer and the Leeds Town Hall lions were allegedly designed by Edwin Lutyens but he didn’t like the end result and denied all knowledge of then. The truth of the matter seems to be that they were made by a chap named William Day Keyworth and the rest of it is rubbish. This from some other website "The LionsThe lions on either side of were an addition to the original design. The first two lions were unveiled on 15th February 1867, the others on 7th June. The sculptor was William Day Keyworth Jnr, and the cost of the lions was £550. Each one is made from two pieces of Portland stone with zig zag joints." That is indeed the record for the lions liits though something which has caused me some intrigue. The long standing story passed down through family records and relatives over the (many) years was that my Great, Great Grandfather worked on the lions - perhaps it was on behalf of keyworth?A section of the notes from the geneaological research shows:'The plans were drawn up for the Town Hall, Leeds in 1852, Sheepscar Archives has the diaries of the Clerk of Works for the building. Work started in 1853, so it would have been John Throp and not his more famous son, Canova who worked on the Lions. The Lions were sited in late 1867'Perhaps I'll never know the full reality.