Round the midnight hour

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

When I was a kid in the 40's/50's I lived just off Compton Road. I was always told that the lions did run round the Town Hall at midnight also that on a night, if you could hear the Town Hall clock striking it was going to rain before too long! It was same with the barges hooting down on the river. I assume it was because the wind would be blowing from the west carrying the sound eastwards.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

tasa,Chris are you still online?I dont know whats going on but i have a dreaded feeling that if its not sorted this site could get ruined in minutes!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Brandy wrote: tasa,Chris are you still online?I dont know whats going on but i have a dreaded feeling that if its not sorted this site could get ruined in minutes! Yes, it's OK - explained in the "Panic over" thread. Sorry for making us all panic!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I may have this wrong but I heard, as a child, that the lions came alive at night and rounded up all the lost kids and took them home.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Hi everyoneWhen i was a kid my grandad used to tell me when it was thundering that it was the lions at the townhall lolPaul    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chrism wrote: I may have this wrong but I heard, as a child, that the lions came alive at night and rounded up all the lost kids and took them home. Nahh - they ate 'em for supper! I think there is quite a bit about this early in the thread. No one has ever said they've seen it happen - but then, maybe they... can't

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

"The whole thing about the Infirmary is just a cover. Noise doesn't stop them putting gigs on on the Square, does it?"Maybe the dosh is an over-riding factor?My next door neighbour had a room in LGI overlooking Millenium Square after he had a stroke last year... with a splendid view of the Ladyboys of Bangkok marquis!
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Crazy Jane wrote: "The whole thing about the Infirmary is just a cover. Noise doesn't stop them putting gigs on on the Square, does it?"Maybe the dosh is an over-riding factor?My next door neighbour had a room in LGI overlooking Millenium Square after he had a stroke last year... with a splendid view of the Ladyboys of Bangkok marquis! The Brotherton Wing initially housed private patients - I'm not sure that it has been used as an in-patient unit for some time now. There was certainly no Millenium Square or indeed gigs held in those times though.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

I'm not quite following, you mean they closed the wards there sometime after last October?The view was clean across the square, he was way cheesed off because it was an isolation ward (i don;t know if that is a normal thing or just while swine flu was a concern) so i stayed a while longer and we chatted about what all the buildings are now and the activity and stuff.Very definitely still taking NHS in-patients at that point though.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Aye - my father-in-law was in the LGI last summer and the ward was in the Brotherton Wing overlooking Millennium Square.He was quite impressed when the pre-show to the West Indian Carnival was allowed to go on until nearly 11pm one night....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell