Round the midnight hour

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Is it true that the Town Hall Clock never strikes midnight?
Attachments
Town Hall from the side
Town Hall from the side
town hall clock.jpg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 15841 times
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy »

I believe the story goes, when the queen opened the town hall, the midnight chime was omitted so as not to wake her. What happened at all the other hours, I have no idea! I don't know how true it is though.
www.jameslesterphotography.co.uk - Photography of hidden cities.

Michael

Post by Michael »

I think I may be able to cast some light on this one.Many years ago, I was told that the bell was regulated to chime at 10 pm and then not until 7.00 am because of the proximity of the Leeds General Infirmary.We didn't want to disturb the peaceful slumber of the patients there.Best wishesMichael

Michael

Post by Michael »

There is also another tale that if you could run around the perimeter of the Town Hall in the time that the clock struck 12, the lions would come to life!Best wishesMichael

munki

Post by munki »

I've heard a version of this one too, though it was that the lions would come to life & run round the building themselves for the amount of time that it took for the clock to strike.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

I read recently that it was set not to strike midnight when Queen Victoria was staying in Leeds (probably at the Queen Vic behind the Town Hall).

saabinn

Post by saabinn »

As far as I know the Town Hall was opened by Queen Victoria in 1858 but the Clock Tower wasn't added until a year later. Therefore it couldn't have stuck midnight and disturbed her sleep!

munki

Post by munki »

This is true (sadly). When she opened the Town Hall, the clocktower was scaffolding, covered in flags. We found some great pics in the back of a cupboard here only yesterday. I will get them scanned as soon as I can.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

Of course everyone knows that Oakwood Clock used to be in the middle of Leeds City Markets...

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

AliceCake wrote: Of course everyone knows that Oakwood Clock used to be in the middle of Leeds City Markets... Not sure that EVERYONE will know that but yes it certainly was.