Clock on top of Thrift/Clover/Allders building in Kirkstall

Public timepieces, on buildings, churches, etc.
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Some pictures of (and from the top of) this sadly missed structure a few weeks before it was deismantled in early 2004.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Sorry - I have some jpeg pictures but apparently they're "too wide"Can anyone help?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

munki

Post by munki »

Hello! Whatever application you are using, you need to 'resize' the pictures until they are 400 pixels wide, or less. The site should then accept them.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Easier said than done Munki. I can't find one of the free editors that will let you do that. I use Macromedia Fireworks which is a pretty expensive option for the casual user.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

rikj

Post by rikj »

If you're using WindowsXp then there's a free image resizer on the Microsoft site.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... lman2.mspx

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Thanks for that rikj.I'm working on putting them on flickr anyway so I'll put up a link, I'll also reveal the story behind why it was demolished (probably a scoop for SecretLeeds !) watch this space.....

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

ok here goeshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/drapesy/sets/These photos were taken from the top of the tower,(also one inside and two from the rooftop) of what is now BHS in Kirkstall shortly before they were demolished.There was a small outcry at the time and objections from a councillor but sadly to no avail. Allders , who occupied the site at that time (2004), said that they had to demolish the tower as it was unsafe. this was, not to put too fine a point on it, a downright lie.(I worked for them at the time, and knew the maintainence manager, who gave me access to take these pictures)The structure had been unsafe, but only about a year before it had been repaired (at a cost of £35,000 I was told) by Potts clocks (run by Smiths of Derby)The reason it was demolished was that a director of Allders had commisioned a plan to demolish the whole building and build a new retail development with Allders as the 'flagship'. The thinking was that the plans would not be passed because of the clock, which might become listed. - so we'll knock down the 'unsafe tower' before anyone has much chance to object than submit the new plans.So this is what happened - but only a year later(when the plans were going through review) Allders went bust and the plan died a quiet death.

munki

Post by munki »

These are great photos, drapesy. Would you like me to resize a couple of them & post them on here to illustrate your story, since you were having trouble doing so?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

jf

Post by jf »

I hadn't noticed the clock had gone! Are there any pictures of it from the front of the building?I heard there were plans to move the Allders store further back on the site allowing new retail units to be constructed at the front of the site. I guess it's not the most efficient use of that land, it's quite a spread out store on one level. I would think there would be some issues regarding it being sited on a flood plain. I was surprised BHS kept this site going when they took over Allders, my expectation was that they would shut this site down as it never seems very busy and sell the land off for housing (or more likely student flats). I guess it could still happen, subject to how pliant development control would be.On a similar theme, does anyone have pictures of the old Burton warehouse/factory which used to be off Kirkstall Road on the site of the multiplexcinema? I remember playing around in here before it was demolished about a decade ago.A lot of 20th Century industrial/retail buildings are disappearing - I think these need to be recorded before they vanish. I wonder if one day people will look on structures such as the big Kay's building in Holbeck with the same affection that 19th century mills are now viewed with?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Hi Munki Yes I'll gladly do that - should I email them to secret Leeds ?