Abandoned Village

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Phill_d wrote: maybe tell the police this. It's nothing to do with secret Leeds. I didn't say it was. the police are aware and there is a security patroljust so I don't make the same mistake againwhat constitutes something that is to do with secret leeds?what view of society is/isn't permitted?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

fevlad said:"I thought this forum was about history not sugar coated one eyed nostalgia".Hi fevlad,With all due respect, I didn't think that Secret Leeds was just about history. If you check out 'About Secret Leeds" at the top of the home page I think that the site is about much more than history. I like to read about people's memories and nostalgia about Leeds. If it was just about history then I think that the site would be less interesting and less informative.(I am sorry to divert from the original topic)Ian.    

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

iansmithofotley wrote: fevlad said:"I thought this forum was about history not sugar coated one eyed nostalgia".Hi fevlad,With all due respect, I didn't think that Secret Leeds was just about history. If you check out 'About Secret Leeds" at the top of the home page I think that the site is about much more than history. I like to read about people's memories and nostalgia about Leeds. If it was just about history then I think that the site would be less interesting and less informative.(I am sorry to divert from the original topic)Ian.     I agree it's about all sorts, that's whats enjoyable about it-but for sure it's about history. The problem here seems to be the confusion between nostalgia and history.there were things about 'the old days' that were appalling as well as good. as the parent of young adults I find the blanket generalisation of their gheneration and of youngsters on here offensive and lacking in intellectual rigour. I've dealt with the worst of 'youth' for most of my career. That doesn't mean that I'm blind to the bbest or think that all young people are part of some 'general'(not my word) malaise. It sems that people are allowed to say these things yet when they are challenged then all of a sudden it isn't relevant, or inappropriate in other ways.

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

Well i never meant to cause a fuss, i was just saying its a good place for photo's. I didnt say it to encourage idiots to go there and vandalise the place! Which im sure anyone on here wouldnt anyway!

ExplorerRich

Post by ExplorerRich »

I wish I hadn't started this thread now.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Rich87 wrote: Well i never meant to cause a fuss, i was just saying its a good place for photo's. I didnt say it to encourage idiots to go there and vandalise the place! Which im sure anyone on here wouldnt anyway! it is a good place to take photos. It's good that people visit it during the day. I showed a family from Darlington round the site yesterrday.It discourages vandals and fly tippers if they see people around the place.BUTtechnically you are trespassing. Someone said it wasn't the case. I informed them that it was and that the signs had been vandalised. I was trying to be helpful.There is a sensitive area of the campus where that 'technical trespass' matters a great deal. The secure unit abuts the site. People seen taking photographs in the vicinity would quite rightly arouse suspicion and be recorded on CCTV. If the kids were to see people doing this they would more than likely get wound up. Nobody likes to think they are being gawped at.Someone on this thread said that the kind of behaviour that ges on at the site was a 'general' pattern of behaviour. Apparently it's ok to express this opinion, but not one that contradicts it.I've ask for clarification on what opinions are acceptable on here, so far I've had no reply.I've worked with the worst examples of the youth of a genaration for many years at the secure unit, and what's going down on the old eastmoor site isn't very nice. Yet because of everything else I see and experience I see mainly positives in young people I take exception to people making stereotypical, and generalised negative comments about them. Am I not allowed to say this?It's a nice day, a vist to the Eastmoor site would be well rewarded. Although I'd go down to the 7 arches myself.

simonm

Post by simonm »

ExplorerRich wrote: I wish I hadn't started this thread now. just for once, a forum row I haven't had owt to do with!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

simonm wrote: ExplorerRich wrote: I wish I hadn't started this thread now. just for once, a forum row I haven't had owt to do with!! We can't have this Si. You'll be getting sent over the Pennines to watch your football if you don't get back on form. That should do the trick lol
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

m100

Re: Abandoned Village

Post by m100 »

A brief view of 'the abandoned village' on Look North today, given the subject matter there is maybe more on Inside Out which is at 20:30 (A Terry Wogan special is filling its normal 19:30 slot)