Abandoned Village

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Great atmsopheric pics Phil and a nice little mystery too.Now that cat is out of the bag it's not quite as spooky anymore, but I'll bet it would still be an eerie place to wander about.We used to drive past there as kids on the way to my Grandparents and I was often threatened that I'd end up there if I didn't behave!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

ExplorerRich wrote: Sorry if I've hit a nerve with anyone over this. The only reason I've been iterested in this for a while is because I like to photograph churches (sounds abit depressing!) I've seen a couple of pictures and heard about it but nobody ever seemed to want to give away the location. Been from the other side of Leeds I have never heard of this place before. I stumbled across this site and looking at all the threads thought it was probably the best place to askI assure you that1. If i go to take any pictures of anything on private land I will be asking for permission first.2. I'm not into stealing lead pipe and slate tiles! youhaven't touched a nerve as far as I can see, it's an interesting thread,the 'church' nevr was an actual churtch in that it was consecrated. It was the asembly hall, and later a small gymI've examined the archives of the place and people got sernt away for all sorts of things back in the day-wetting the bed, and all sorts of stuff.when it was an 'approved school/community home with education', it housed young offenders who had committed minor crimes-between the ages of 11-16 mainly. The boys were detained there mainly under care orders. The secure unit was and is a different kettle of fish entirely.regarding 'trespassing', you don't need to worry about it. I was just making you aware. The security people don't mind people walking their dogs, taking a short cut and so on, because they/we see stuff, and if there's people aroind it puts the vandals off
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

If you go up there Rich be warned. It may be well of the beaten track in a quiet area, It does however attract some real low life's up there. I know a set of real clowns have been up there during this week, ripping off boards and getting the police and security called out. I can fully understand the local residents getting annoyed. I think drugs has already been mentioned on here as well.Thanks Ravey. As always the whole truth is often not very interesting at all. Cheers.    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

ExplorerRich

Post by ExplorerRich »

Thanks Phil,Yeah, I've just had a look at that facebook page you mentioned. Just full of kids talking about camping out there on a night and having "hours of fun" throwing bricks around the place. Theres 3 of us who usually go out and about on a Sunday looking for interesting things so I wont be on my own. Plus me and another have 2 dogs we always take anyway ;0)Sorry if my probing has given away the secret, looking at your photos (even if you think there boring!) they really capture a weird feel to the place when you don't know what it is.

ExplorerRich

Post by ExplorerRich »

fevlad wrote: ExplorerRich wrote: Sorry if I've hit a nerve with anyone over this. The only reason I've been iterested in this for a while is because I like to photograph churches (sounds abit depressing!) I've seen a couple of pictures and heard about it but nobody ever seemed to want to give away the location. Been from the other side of Leeds I have never heard of this place before. I stumbled across this site and looking at all the threads thought it was probably the best place to askI assure you that1. If i go to take any pictures of anything on private land I will be asking for permission first.2. I'm not into stealing lead pipe and slate tiles! youhaven't touched a nerve as far as I can see, it's an interesting thread,the 'church' nevr was an actual churtch in that it was consecrated. It was the asembly hall, and later a small gymI've examined the archives of the place and people got sernt away for all sorts of things back in the day-wetting the bed, and all sorts of stuff.when it was an 'approved school/community home with education', it housed young offenders who had committed minor crimes-between the ages of 11-16 mainly. The boys were detained there mainly under care orders. The secure unit was and is a different kettle of fish entirely.regarding 'trespassing', you don't need to worry about it. I was just making you aware. The security people don't mind people walking their dogs, taking a short cut and so on, because they/we see stuff, and if there's people aroind it puts the vandals off Thanks fevlad.I found a link to the community home www.secureaccommodation.org.uk/moreinfo ... flet.pdfAs for the "Church" I think it must be one of those things thats given a new purpose and story to it that makes it sound that little bit more spooky

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

ExplorerRich wrote: Thanks Phil,Yeah, I've just had a look at that facebook page you mentioned. Just full of kids talking about camping out there on a night and having "hours of fun" throwing bricks around the place. Theres 3 of us who usually go out and about on a Sunday looking for interesting things so I wont be on my own. Plus me and another have 2 dogs we always take anyway ;0)Sorry if my probing has given away the secret, looking at your photos (even if you think there boring!) they really capture a weird feel to the place when you don't know what it is. No not at all mate.. I've actually been talking to a few people on here about future hidden Leeds projects. The amount of interest generated with this mysterious and sinister side really works. People are fascinated by the strange and hidden places. I look at it like a consumer testing a product. A very good learning curve.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cannaeoldgeezer wrote: fevlad wrote: it wasn't a 'borstal'it's the site of the old Eastmoor community home with education', previously known as eastmoor approved school, beforte that eastmoor reformatory.Agfter it shut as a community home it was used as student accommodation, and then closed down as not fit for purpose.The site has been bought by Barratts and is to be redeveloped the template for the redevelopment is Harewood village.The chapel(later used as a gym) is to be retained, the rest is to be demolished, but the stone and slate recycled into the buildings.the other buildings are residential blocks, education blocks and an air training corps building.it is frequented by doggers, drug users and vandals.The 'factory' on the picture is actually part of the educatiob lock.It was used in an episode of 'The Royal' and mocked up to look like a factory. The episode featured a major fire and the burnt out buildings were a useful backdrop. thanks for all of the info, i didnt realise it had been on the Royal. Any idea what episode?also i didnt mean to offend but approved schools and reformatories were what were commonly known as borstals....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BorstalI wasnt using it as a derogatory term, just how it was described to me by several locals, all of whom have colourful stories about the place. trust me...there is an ENORMOUS difference twix approved schools and borstals.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Wiggy,please dont tell me that a member of the Cross Green Rowing team (coxless),ameteur dramatics society, and poetry reading group has first hand experience of the difference between an approved school and a borstal?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Phill_d wrote: If you go up there Rich be warned. It may be well of the beaten track in a quiet area, It does however attract some real low life's up there. I know a set of real clowns have been up there during this week, ripping off boards and getting the police and security called out. I can fully understand the local residents getting annoyed. I think drugs has already been mentioned on here as well.Thanks Ravey. As always the whole truth is often not very interesting at all. Cheers.     drugs, general vandalism and fly tipping, although the worst is arson. Severela buildings have been badly damaged-someone is going to be seriously injured or worse in one of these incidents. The sooner the place is flattened and building work starts the better

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

wiggy wrote: cannaeoldgeezer wrote: fevlad wrote: it wasn't a 'borstal'it's the site of the old Eastmoor community home with education', previously known as eastmoor approved school, beforte that eastmoor reformatory.Agfter it shut as a community home it was used as student accommodation, and then closed down as not fit for purpose.The site has been bought by Barratts and is to be redeveloped the template for the redevelopment is Harewood village.The chapel(later used as a gym) is to be retained, the rest is to be demolished, but the stone and slate recycled into the buildings.the other buildings are residential blocks, education blocks and an air training corps building.it is frequented by doggers, drug users and vandals.The 'factory' on the picture is actually part of the educatiob lock.It was used in an episode of 'The Royal' and mocked up to look like a factory. The episode featured a major fire and the burnt out buildings were a useful backdrop. thanks for all of the info, i didnt realise it had been on the Royal. Any idea what episode?also i didnt mean to offend but approved schools and reformatories were what were commonly known as borstals....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BorstalI wasnt using it as a derogatory term, just how it was described to me by several locals, all of whom have colourful stories about the place. trust me...there is an ENORMOUS difference twix approved schools and borstals. there was, neither exist any more, nor have for a long timeapproved schools/community homes were run by the local authority for children 11-16Borstals were run by the prison system for older boys.