Leeds Mad House?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

looking at the GENUKI site I came across this reference to the Leeds Mad house:http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... htmlanyone know where this was ?, as it is not obvious from the text, unless the reference to Eastgate refers to the place itself.(I know a few places that would qualify nowadays but wondered where it was<G>)
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The Mad House was the Market Tavern, at the corner of Harewood Street and Ludgate Hill. ;-))))Attached pic from leodis see it in an older guise.... In reality though I think it mught refer to High Royds or Meanwood Park!!    
Attachments
__TFMF_twbg1c45t12vpf554psrmxa2_1793b215-7f9b-4730-9e2a-6865037b9da3_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_twbg1c45t12vpf554psrmxa2_1793b215-7f9b-4730-9e2a-6865037b9da3_0_main.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I think Steve is on about a 'real' Mad-House, in his link it doesn't say exactly where but there is this bit.*Edited to comply with GENUKI's conditions of copyright*
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The quote below is part of the message removed by ChrisM. The copyright is held by the website chris mentioned and further details on the copyright and full text can be found http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... e1837.html which is the link at the beginning of the thread. Chrism wrote: "The Retreat is delightfully situated on rising ground, at the opening of Aire-Dale, little more than a mile from the Town of Leeds" Sounds like its in the vicinity of Kirkstall brewery where the river stops running between a hill on both sides (a valley or dale) and opens out on to a small plain.    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I think Tyke Bhouy might be right. it sounds like it had quite large grounds as it refers to plantations which implies large ground. I haven't got any maps dating that far back. i was unsure just where within around a mile might qualify.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Genuki is a great reference - but please be careful to comply with their conditions re quoting text etc.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

That was why I just gave the link Croggy and not the whole thing. I agre with you that it is a great resource.