Turner and Virr

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

On passing Turner and Virr, the clothing manufacturer on York Road, I've noticed by signs have gone up offering the buidling for a "redevelopment opportunity". For once traffic was actually moving so that is all I could spot.If you don't know the name you'll probably know the building - it's the brick building with the fantastic mosaics on York Road between the Torre Road flyoer and the Saftesbury lights as you head out of town, just where the pointless bus lane crosses over to the central reservation.Does anyone know any more? Have they closed down? They were certainly active recently with lorries outside for collections / deliveries.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

raveydavey wrote: On passing Turner and Virr, the clothing manufacturer on York Road, I've noticed by signs have gone up offering the buidling for a "redevelopment opportunity". For once traffic was actually moving so that is all I could spot.If you don't know the name you'll probably know the building - it's the brick building with the fantastic mosaics on York Road between the Torre Road flyoer and the Saftesbury lights as you head out of town, just where the pointless bus lane crosses over to the central reservation.Does anyone know any more? Have they closed down? They were certainly active recently with lorries outside for collections / deliveries. As I understand it they made uniforms for the services.Since all of the tailoring has closed down in Leeds and the schools don't teach machine sewing it can't be easy for them to get operatives nowadays. In any case they wouldn't be able to compete with wherever it is that Matalan, Primark, and George (who was selling a gents 2 piece suit for £15.00 before christmas) etc source their clothing.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

They also had the contract to provide the uniform for a certain large building society/bank with a head office in West Yorks once ...

ackers72

Post by ackers72 »

They are still active and have new premises which they will be moving to somewhere in Garforth.
Short in arm and long in pocket, been a long time but I am making a re-appearance!!!!