The Old Seacroft Shopping Centre

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
simonm

Post by simonm »

Scotteh2k8 wrote: simonm wrote: When I first left shcool at the turn of the 70's 80's I had a job for a number of months at Butchers on Bogart hill drive. For the life of I can't remember the miserable old gets name. However, I digress slightly. Every Sat morning I had to load the van and get it to the centre for the Sat trade up at the indoor makret there! I always thought the place was so depressing at the time. Seems I'm not the only one! Roger somebody or other, god, thats annoying! The butchers that used to be next door to a green grocers, just off of Ramshead Hill?My mum and Grandma have lived on Boggart Hill Drive and Ramshead Hill for ages, I live on Boggart Hill Drive now, perhaps you new them, they were always in the butchers from what I remember, do the names Annette and Lorretta Osborne mean anything to you? It was over 20 years ago. It was deffinately on bogart hill drive, on the parade of shops, nearest to Easterly Rd.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

tc

Post by tc »

Seacroft Town Centre demolition web    http://www.queensview.co.uk     & follow links.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

chameleon wrote: I'm interested to hear your mum worked in the market, I wonder when that was? I used to help on a large toy stall there while still at school, but that was in the early days of the Seacroft Civic Centre as it was first known - late 60's! oh it wasn't until the late 70s or early 80s. she didn't have it too long i think, she didn't like the cold! she went on to get a shop instead but it wasn't at seacrofthence i don't remember the uncovered centre, or the pondi used to mooch around that centre for hours in the school holidays. i had naff all else to do. i must have walked over ever inch of it...

Archer

Post by Archer »

HiNew member of forum and this chat has hurled me down memory lane! I moved to seacroft in '76 when I was about 13. ( opposite the Pathfinder pub). Had a devil of a paper round at Forbuoys newsagent that flung me all over neighbouring Whinmoor. Fave shop in the ''centre'' was the sports shop on the lower deck cos he had a good selection of air pellets for my very dodgy pop out pistol!I remember my mum always shopping at Sea land foods and a pretty good fishmonger called Rochelles.I also recall saving up to buy clothes from a shop called man for all seasons. I think that became a travel agents.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

kierentc wrote: chameleon wrote: I'm interested to hear your mum worked in the market, I wonder when that was? I used to help on a large toy stall there while still at school, but that was in the early days of the Seacroft Civic Centre as it was first known - late 60's! oh it wasn't until the late 70s or early 80s. she didn't have it too long i think, she didn't like the cold! she went on to get a shop instead but it wasn't at seacrofthence i don't remember the uncovered centre, or the pondi used to mooch around that centre for hours in the school holidays. i had naff all else to do. i must have walked over ever inch of it... I thought I was probably before your memories kieren, amazing really how long the market went on for. I don't know about the later days, but there was always a good and friendly atmosphere in my days.Age old song that one though, nothing to do, maybe one day someone will find a way of keeping the younger ones better occupied - I suspect you may hear of many of the less desireable pass-times of some of them these days!

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Archer wrote: Hi had a good selection of air pellets for my very dodgy pop out pistol! My God, not a Diana pop out - forgotten all about them !!!

Archer

Post by Archer »

jeffn wrote: Archer wrote: Hi had a good selection of air pellets for my very dodgy pop out pistol! My God, not a Diana pop out - forgotten all about them !!! Guilty as charged jeffn! Thought they were cool at the time tho!But not as cool as my mates wrist rocket catapult! LOL

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Aye the good old Seacroft Civic Centre. If only the wonderful council hadn't let it decline into terminal despair it could have lasted a hundred years!.I can remember as a kid (mid/late 70's) there was every shop you could ever need there. two supermarkets (Co-op, later Super C) and Liptons (which then became Presto, then Lo-Cost). Even a Woolworths!The place used to be rammed solid on Saturdays (no Sunday opening back then), loads of free parking (ahead of their time with that), and bus station on site from where you could catch a bus to almost anywhere in Leeds. Doctors, dentists, opticians, barbers (Mad Harry who wouldn't cut kids hair on a Saturday, even if the shop was empty) and two hairdressers, a launderette, several butchers, a couple of greengrocers, three cafes, a chippy, an offy, even a Job Centre and a Crown Post Office. I can remember when there were five or six banks on the front facing North Parkway. The indoor market where you could buy just about anything.And what a planners dream it must have been to have people living in all-electric flats directly over the shops! A sound idea being repeated today, but then it was with poor execution and shoddy materials.I was at school with a lad whose family lived in one and the damp in there had to be seen to be believed - shockingly poor build quality. They could only use one of the three upstairs bedrooms due to the black mould on the walls.But then I can also remember it in the later years, when the roof was ripped off ("fire hazard" allegedly) and the shops gradually closed. By the time the roof was replaced it was too late - the rot had set in and I think they were glad to get the place off their hands.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Archer

Post by Archer »

I remember in my late teens/early 20s it was always leeds town centre saturdays but friday was always local.But what locals! Cricketers, Pathfinder,Staging Post, Whinmoor,The Mill Bar and then our very own nightclub SEDANS! Yes I know this club was destined to fail but had some great times in there anyway. Being able to walk home after a club ( hopefully with a girl! ) was a real novelty.Great memories! ( except for the odd fight! )

ackers72

Post by ackers72 »

A contact of mine put some pics on flickr that he took from around the time it was closing and bits being demolished, here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23757949@N06/Also another pic looking up Brookland Ave to the row of shops behind the centre taken by Dave Hopkins who is I think a member on here??
Attachments
__TFMF_0m3icpnsqagjuy45kq4vguar_991a8cc6-8b01-4ed3-aa2a-227fe7363a48_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0m3icpnsqagjuy45kq4vguar_991a8cc6-8b01-4ed3-aa2a-227fe7363a48_0_main.jpg (142.57 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
Short in arm and long in pocket, been a long time but I am making a re-appearance!!!!