Holy Wells & spas

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jim

Post by jim »

The Headingley 1906 Godfrey map shows both footpath and stream. The latter is shown starting at a very small "circle" high up the hillside as Fairysplash states, and would appear to support that description.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Fairysplash wrote: http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344914 Cracking map, can you download any more?

Fairysplash

Post by Fairysplash »

If you go to the site by following the link the whole of Leeds ( well, the whole country, really) is at the tip of your fingers!

Fairysplash

Post by Fairysplash »

I don't suppose any of you are technical geniuses who can superimpose one of the old maps onto a Google Earth image???

Fairysplash

Post by Fairysplash »

Okay chaps! I've been ont'hill and there is most definitely water coming out of the ground at that spot, more or less where the well is marked on the map. Whether or not it IS a well, I am not qualified to say, so you will have to judge for yourselves! It is very easy to see, actually, because it is very close to the footpath and no vegetation is growing yet. If it is indeed the well, I am surprised there seems to be so much mystery surrounding it's whereabouts because it is very obvious, really, as I have said. This might indicate that it isn't the well but perhaps I am being cynical.

Randomjames

Re:sugarwell hill

Post by Randomjames »

Steve Jones wrote:Has anyone looked at whether the spring that is the Sugar Well at meanwood is still around?i ask because I am not aware that anyone has reported on the state of the area since Val Shepherd mentioned it in her 2002 book !Holy Wells of Yorkshire and the Dales"

I have been doing some digging around this week steve and believe I might have some info for you regarding this well. Give me a shout if you are interested.

Randomjames

Re:sugarwell hill

Post by Randomjames »

I have been doing some digging around this week steve jones and believe I might have some info for you regarding this well. Give me a shout if you are interested.

Steve Jones

Re: Holy Wells & spas

Post by Steve Jones »

as I said in the specific thread on the sugar well I am interested in anything about this well,and any others for that matter.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!