Holy Wells & spas

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

LS1 wrote: caveman wrote: Has anyone any idea why the Revolution Well was so named? Was it anything to do with the Civil War perhaps? It commemorates the 100 year anniversary of William of Orange coming to these shores - The Glorious Revolution as it was.Erected by Jospeh Oates who lived somewhere Weetwood way... See this link that also has the description:http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... ell-leedsI note that it is Grade II listed.

Caron

Post by Caron »

caveman wrote: Has anyone any idea why the Revolution Well was so named? Was it anything to do with the Civil War perhaps? Hi caveman. I cannot give you the link but...if you go to SEARCH and put in Meanwood Towers, you shouldfind the link re Revolution Well.

alexl102

Post by alexl102 »

Taking it back a little to the person who mentioned the well in Shadwell- if you walk down Holywell Lane with the houses on your right, just before you reach the gate and bridlepath on the left where the road bends to the right, you can hear a spring running in the field thru the hedge on the left. I've tried to work out if there's anything in the gardens and can't see a 'spring' as such but may be wrong.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

alexl102, being a former resident of Holywell Lane, that is indeed where it is, not far from where Bridle Path Lane goes off.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Wool

Post by Wool »

There is an ancient spring on the edge of Kirkby Overblow called St Helen's Well. I seemed to recall that its name was carved in a stone in an apparently archaic way like an old gravestone, but with the "N" carved backwards. However, when we cycled past there today the name of the well was carved into a modern lakeland slate plaque attached to the wall and there was no trace of the old carving. Have I remembered this wrongly;was I thinking of somewhere else?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Wool wrote: There is an ancient spring on the edge of Kirkby Overblow called St Helen's Well. I seemed to recall that its name was carved in a stone in an apparently archaic way like an old gravestone, but with the "N" carved backwards. However, when we cycled past there today the name of the well was carved into a modern lakeland slate plaque attached to the wall and there was no trace of the old carving. Have I remembered this wrongly;was I thinking of somewhere else? The well was restored some years back which probably explains the sign looking different.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

With all the rain last year,did anyone notice if any of the old springs or wells reappeared?I noticed in the news last week that the Gypsey race in North yorkshire,so called because it appears now and again ,has been causing flooding problems.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Steve Jones wrote: With all the rain last year,did anyone notice if any of the old springs or wells reappeared?I noticed in the news last week that the Gypsey race in North yorkshire,so called because it appears now and again ,has been causing flooding problems. There's that rather nice built up spring in Guiseley, there's also a spring in the front garden of Cookridge hall which is at the head of Adel/Meanwood Beck I assume. Its gushing at the mo!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The Parksider wrote: [ there's also a spring in the front garden of Cookridge hall which is at the head of Adel/Meanwood Beck I assume. Its gushing at the mo! Thanks for this Parksider.I expect a lot of old springs will reappear due to the level of saturation and much to the surprise of some homeowners!    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Babbling Baby Spring (BBS) in Adel Wood has had no definite flow out for the last few years now, being only a few drops of water at most as water now drains out from the ground a few yards away. Passing by the BBS late this morning I noticed that despite the very sodden ground there was no water dripping out at the BBS, though there was a fair flow of water a few yards away (that water seemed to be general seepage and collection of ground water, as it did not seem to be draining out at one spot). Clearly whatever caused or allowed water to run out at the BBS is no longer doing so.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.