Holy Wells & spas

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I know we already have a thread on lost fountains, but I am interested in which old Holy Wells/Spa wells (or "spaw" as sometimes spelt locally) are still around. I did a bit of a survey in the 1990'sbut haven't looked lately. Gipton Wod used to still have the remains of a spa well . Too scary looking round there though!Adel woods had a couple of wells including one with a carved head called "The Slavering/Slabbering baby well"!The Sugar Well at Meanwood was still around in the 1990's.anyone know of any left?There used to be loads in Leeds in     past centuries. Quarry Hill had a famous one and the jobcentre opposite is built near an old Lady Well.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Help I put this in the wrong area!could it be switched across to the same as fountains, moderators?pretty please<G>?

rikj

Post by rikj »

This is the Slabbering Baby Well as of '07. Water flow seemed very diminished, but we did taste it.Interesting talking of springs with these last few days of heavy rain. Old springs having been "springing up" everywhere.I guess you have come across what seems to be the most comprehensive list of these;"Taking the Waters in Old Leeds", a great read!
Attachments
__TFMF_deevvrjclfhnfs45w354ufiw_98a94ce0-8af9-4ab0-aebb-1c4ec5582daa_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_deevvrjclfhnfs45w354ufiw_98a94ce0-8af9-4ab0-aebb-1c4ec5582daa_0_main.jpg (87.72 KiB) Viewed 3523 times

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I am not sure about the"Taking the waters" I have a list in an old Thoresby Society publiction from the 1970's but can't remember the name is this what you meant?

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

There's some info on the Revolution Well in Stonegate Road on this thread:http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... readID=485

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

i know about the revolution Well but thanks. It is at the bottom of the road where a friend of mine lives acually. There are some good photos on the Leodis site showing it in its original position before being moved.Interesting area around Stonegate Rd. There is the post in the field near there commemorating the Oates family and a very intersting tump in the school grounds alleged to be a civil war burial but to my eye looking very like a tumulus!

rikj

Post by rikj »

"Taking the Waters in Old Leeds" online here;http://www.northernearth.co.uk/61leeds.htmThoresby Society is down as one of the references so you may have seen these before.Hope it helps.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Steve Jones wrote: i know about the revolution Well but thanks. It is at the bottom of the road where a friend of mine lives acually. There are some good photos on the Leodis site showing it in its original position before being moved.Interesting area around Stonegate Rd. There is the post in the field near there commemorating the Oates family and a very intersting tump in the school grounds alleged to be a civil war burial but to my eye looking very like a tumulus! I used to live about 400 yards from the Revolution Well, so know the area well. As well as the sites you mentioned, there used to be a well underneath where King Alfred's Castle was. It's now underneath housing I think.
Attachments
__TFMF_adjwbjv1x1vxfm552q5450ef_986c0439-2ebe-4b70-be18-b9a5f1b20f66_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_adjwbjv1x1vxfm552q5450ef_986c0439-2ebe-4b70-be18-b9a5f1b20f66_0_main.jpg (126.82 KiB) Viewed 3523 times

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

i intend trying to find out what became of the well near King Alfreds Castle. i have actually been up on the hill looking for remains of the old folly. Myself and friends noted the tummbled remains of what appeared to possibly have been a wellhouse before finding the picture posted above. however it is not in the same position as where we saw the pile of stones. I have looked at the 1891 map for a rough idea but haven't had time to go and look again at the hill.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Mate I've lived there for 20+ years ( not on the hill but close by) and never found it. Its buried under the earth now I presume. You deserve a prize if you get at it!