Redmans

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I'm not sure this belongs on here, and I know they weren't solely a Leeds firm, (they certainly had a branch in Wakey) but they had a stall/shop in Leeds Kirkgate market. They were a grocers I suppose. My wife had a yen last year for Redmans' potted salmon. I tried on the net but drew a blank. I got a recipe off the net and it was nothing like what Redmans used to sell, which was bright organgey red (probably due to additives) but it did taste nice. They sold other stuff too like marzipan and ground almonds for the Christmas cake, dried fruit, tea and coffee etc. Anyone on here remember them - better still anyone know where I could get the potted salmon?
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Trojan wrote: I'm not sure this belongs on here, and I know they weren't solely a Leeds firm, (they certainly had a branch in Wakey) but they had a stall/shop in Leeds Kirkgate market. They were a grocers I suppose. My wife had a yen last year for Redmans' potted salmon. I tried on the net but drew a blank. I got a recipe off the net and it was nothing like what Redmans used to sell, which was bright organgey red (probably due to additives) but it did taste nice. They sold other stuff too like marzipan and ground almonds for the Christmas cake, dried fruit, tea and coffee etc. Anyone on here remember them - better still anyone know where I could get the potted salmon? Lets try and make it belong - was this 'One of the Old Shops in the County Arcade'? I remember an anual pilgrimage with Gran to a very large shop in there, on the right perhaps, just past Cross Arcade whilst walking to Vicar Lane? I'm sure it was Redmans. From here we would get the tram back home and everyone would spend the evening sorting through currant, raisins and sultanas, removing the storks and odd remaining stones so they were ready to use in the Christmas Cake - a receipe which used yeast at that!I don't remember too many of the other old shops, there was of course the Dolls Hospital and a shop on the corner opposite the Mecca which sold sheet music, strings a nd so on.I've not seen potted salmon for years, but I dio know a good place to get smoked, poached Canadian Sockeye salmon, pate!

liits

Post by liits »

Redmans always smelled of boiled ham.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Trojan wrote: I'm not sure this belongs on here, and I know they weren't solely a Leeds firm, (they certainly had a branch in Wakey) but they had a stall/shop in Leeds Kirkgate market. They were a grocers I suppose. My wife had a yen last year for Redmans' potted salmon. I tried on the net but drew a blank. I got a recipe off the net and it was nothing like what Redmans used to sell, which was bright organgey red (probably due to additives) but it did taste nice. They sold other stuff too like marzipan and ground almonds for the Christmas cake, dried fruit, tea and coffee etc. Anyone on here remember them - better still anyone know where I could get the potted salmon? I remember the stall in Leeds market. I'm sure there was another outlet in Leeds but can't remember where.As regards the potted salmon, it was my mum's favourite but I'd bet there wasn't much actual salmon in it. It was probably made from cheap tinned fish, died and flavoured. You used to come across grey/white areas where the dye hadn't reached in the mixing process. It was at any rate better than substitutes made from cheap pink salmon mushed up. Try a salmon sandwich from a motorway cafe!Since Redmonds went we have found no real substitute for it, a tin of John West Red Salmon with the skin, bones, and spinal cords removed, mushed up with salt and vinegar is the nearest we have achieved.Similarly their ground almond substitute "Nut Mix" probably made from conkers made better almond slices much cheaper than ground almondsTo keep on topic another noteworthy "structure" in Leeds market was Scarrs ironmongers selling fire irons, coal rakes, pokers and fire grates, (they had a shop outside the market on Kirkgate which, if I am correct turned into the Post Office). the market stall was as I remember it, two stories high, and displayed it's coal shovels "hung" like the rabbits, hares, pheasants and chickens on the stalls on game row.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

stevief

Post by stevief »

I can clearly remember 'Stringers' in the market.It sold newspapers,comics,magazines and paperbacks.It covered quite an area,which I think is occupied by a clothes shop now. I don't know whether Stringers ever re-opened after the fire of '75.    

volvojack

Re: Redmans

Post by volvojack »

As I have only been a member 2 or 3 years am enjoying. looking at earlier posts concerning my old home town.

Redmans was on the County Cross Arcade

As for Stringers in the Kirkgate Market they were unique because not only did they sell newspapers, books etc. but they did a large trade in part exchange of their books and comics, usually a book was 6d. and you got 3d. back when you returned it, comics were 4d. and 2d. on return. prior to T.V. making an appearance they did tremendous trade.

Talolili

Post by Talolili »

Hi, where to get the dollhouse? I am here in Australia and looking for my daughter!
Buy online KidKraft dollhouse in Australia at 50% Discount.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Talolili wrote:Hi, where to get the dollhouse? I am here in Australia and looking for my daughter!
Think you may be on the wrong site if you live in Australia, try getting a dolls house closer to home mate. :oops:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

G'day,
Don't know how we got onto Doll's Houses but for what its worth most of the fancy doll's houses you see nowadays come in kit form from China and are assembled by the retailers. I expect it's the same in Oz
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!