Found some pictures

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Scotteh2k8

Post by Scotteh2k8 »

frisbee wrote: Anybody remember any of the teachers or kids from the mid 70's?I remember being in 'Baggie Bowler's' class in the third year, 77-78. I started Braimwood in 1998 and my art teacher was called Mrs Waddington, and apparently she used to work there when my mum went to braimwood when it was a mixed school in the 70's
For every action, there is a reaction

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Scotteh2k8 wrote: I started Braimwood in 1998 and my art teacher was called Mrs Waddington, and apparently she used to work there when my mum went to braimwood when it was a mixed school in the 70's Yeah, I remember Mrs Waddington, she was tall, slim and I remember she had ginger hair which was styled in the curly perm that was in fashion at the time. I remember my form teachers through the years being Mrs Britton, Mrs Smith, Mrs Bowler and Mr Bradshaw. Other teachers I remember are Mr Eastwood who taught PE and woodwork, Mr Schulman who taught geography or history, Mr Fawltey who taught science, Mr Lewellyn who was the deputy head and died suddenly. The headmistress had dark black hair and round glasses, but I can't remember her name at the moment.I always remember the classrooms having a speaker in the clock and if you got called to go see the head it was announced over the speaker system.

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

frisbee wrote: I remember being in 'Baggie Bowler's' class in the third year, 77-78. 'Baggie Bowler' was a legend ....... I genuinely believe she derived massive pleasure from subjecting pre-teenage boys to the hell of needlepoint!She was blessed with a vicious tongue and very very intimidating. Oddly years after I left Braimwood I bumped into her on the Headrow and she couldn't have been more different ...... charming, curious to know how I had faired in the world and rather amusing!

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

Scotteh2k8 wrote: I started Braimwood in 1998 and my art teacher was called Mrs Waddington, and apparently she used to work there when my mum went to braimwood when it was a mixed school in the 70's Miss Waddington was my form teacher in my final year at Briamwood (erhmm erhmm .... 1977/7 and she was fantastic. As frisbee recalls tall, slim and a mass of brown curls (oddly I was reminded of her when I saw 'Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit' by Lady Campanula Tottington ......... for those that remember see http://www.imdb.com/media/rm62691584/tt0312004 )I always remember the fantastic backdrops for school productions that she and Miss Frank would produce (particularly the Alice in Wonderland production)

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

frisbee wrote: I remember my form teachers through the years being Mrs Britton, Mrs Smith, Mrs Bowler and Mr Bradshaw. Other teachers I remember are Mr Eastwood who taught PE and woodwork, Mr Schulman who taught geography or history, Mr Fawltey who taught science, Mr Lewellyn who was the deputy head and died suddenly. The headmistress had dark black hair and round glasses, but I can't remember her name at the moment. I remember most of those names.Mr Bradshaw was a great history teacher who helped cement a passion for the subject that is still with me thirty years later (just a shame he suffered such a terrible fall from grace). Mr Eastwood was a star (did he not play or claim to have played for Blythe Spartans?), actually my Mum still has in a cupboard somewhere a lamp we made in wood (in the style of the Beiderbecke Affair/Connection made from old desks!). Mr Schulman of the string vest and legendary sweaty armpits taught Geography. Mr Fawlty had a massive collection of unsuitable chemicals and equipment for a Middle School (who remembers rolling Mercury around in your hand!). Mr (Dia) Lewellyn was welsh, the most authoritive figure (after Baggy Bowler) and ruled with the 'paddy wack' a sort of large scale table tennis bat brought to bare on the offenders rear! His passion was Rugby League and he ran some of the school teams (which I played for). When he died, I am sure that there was a memorial trophey named after him (? for Leeds schools Rugby League tournaments). I always wondered with such passion for the game whether he came to Yorkshire as a professional player? frisbee wrote: The headmistress had dark black hair and round glasses, but I can't remember her name at the moment. Was it Miss (or Mrs) Rowe? ....... office at the side of the front entrance and all I recall is as you describeOther teachers I recall:Mr Gillow - french teacher, keen football coach and sharp droopy moustacheMiss Frank - the other art teacher, quite a large woman who was really enthuisastic about art and taught me to throw a pot!Mrs Bell - Really bubbly drama teacher from Ulster (?)Mrs Robinson (or Robertson) - english teacher, was really serious and passionate about the set books (again like Mr Bradshaw , set me up with a passion for reading) Mrs ??? - a small dark haired woman who taught PE (and married to teacher at Middlethorne) Miss Rossington - form teacher in my second year and I think she taught science frisbee wrote: I always remember the classrooms having a speaker in the clock and if you got called to go see the head it was announced over the speaker system. Aye, also I remember the general "b&ll#ck$ngs" to the school for fights in the bull field, chaos on the school buses etcI also remember the hell of the summer stuck in the majority of the classrooms that faced Wetherby Road being fried by the beating sun on the wall of glass. Other fond memories include rainy PE days being tortured by learing to country dance in the gym, queuing for lunch down the steps for a pile of [edited for content] on steel prison trays, the annual grasshopper hunt (the quarry being displayed in empty crisp packets), post school sliding on the bull field and our year at Middlethorne while asbestos was stripped from the building!

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Yes, thats right, Mrs Rowe (or was it spelled Roe?) was the headteacher. It's all coming back to me now. I remember all those other teachers you mentioned too. I remember science lessons with Mrs Rossington. I remember taking PE with Mr Gillow and I used to dislike him because I was hardly ever picked for the school football team that he ran and other kids who weren't as good played regularly. I remember one kid who was a bit tubby always played because his dad was on the PTA. I remember at a training session once, Mr Gillow had the ball at his feet and challenged anyone to tackle him and get the ball. A few of other star players tried and failed and then I tackled him, won the ball, and as I turned to run with the ball, he hacked me down from behind and said "No one tackles me and gets away with it!" I was writhing around on the ground in agony but was told to get up and stop crying. When I did finally get a chance in the team when a first team player was sick, I played in defence and had a really good game. At the next practice session i was back with the also-rans and wasn't picked to play again. I didn't even bother trying to get into the team in the fourth year, I prefered athletics.I was a regular player in the first year rugby team run by Mr Lewellyn, I don't know why because I was useless and hated it. Mr Lewellyn was fearsome but he did have the respect of all the kids. I remember the assembly where Mrs Roe told the kids abot his death and there was a lot of tears. Leeds schools did play for the Lewellyn Cup for a number of years after his death. I think it stopped in the late 80 or early 90's when the Labour Council at the time stopped school sports teams because they decided that competition was a evil thing to be teaching kids.Braim Wood was famous for its school productions, I remember the Alice in Wonderland production very well. As grumpytramp says the backdrops were spectcular.I had a lot of fun at Braim Wood, my only gripe was that there could be a lot of snobbery and kids with well-off parents often got better treatment and opportunities than those from less well off families.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

frisbee wrote: Yes, thats right, Mrs Rowe (or was it spelled Roe?) was the headteacher. It's all coming back to me now. I remember all those other teachers you mentioned too. I remember science lessons with Mrs Rossington. I remember taking PE with Mr Gillow and I used to dislike him because I was hardly ever picked for the school football team that he ran and other kids who weren't as good played regularly. I remember one kid who was a bit tubby always played because his dad was on the PTA. I remember at a training session once, Mr Gillow had the ball at his feet and challenged anyone to tackle him and get the ball. A few of other star players tried and failed and then I tackled him, won the ball, and as I turned to run with the ball, he hacked me down from behind and said "No one tackles me and gets away with it!" I was writhing around on the ground in agony but was told to get up and stop crying. When I did finally get a chance in the team when a first team player was sick, I played in defence and had a really good game. At the next practice session i was back with the also-rans and wasn't picked to play again. I didn't even bother trying to get into the team in the fourth year, I prefered athletics.I was a regular player in the first year rugby team run by Mr Lewellyn, I don't know why because I was useless and hated it. Mr Lewellyn was fearsome but he did have the respect of all the kids. I remember the assembly where Mrs Roe told the kids abot his death and there was a lot of tears. Leeds schools did play for the Lewellyn Cup for a number of years after his death. I think it stopped in the late 80 or early 90's when the Labour Council at the time stopped school sports teams because they decided that competition was a evil thing to be teaching kids.Braim Wood was famous for its school productions, I remember the Alice in Wonderland production very well. As grumpytramp says the backdrops were spectcular.I had a lot of fun at Braim Wood, my only gripe was that there could be a lot of snobbery and kids with well-off parents often got better treatment and opportunities than those from less well off families. the kids from well off families got better treatment at coldcotes too,mrs thompson,or the evil mrs thompson being cheif instigator....she wasn't just bias,she was downright nasty.i would love to see her,just to tell her what a foul and evil cow she really was.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

ReddaDrops

Post by ReddaDrops »

HAHA mr gillow! he must have been at braim wood for a loooong time, as he was there in 2001 when i left. AAAANY BODY GOING SKIIIING!Mrs Wadington - a frail old art teacher, who looked like a skelotonMr Beardmore - Old style school teacher who should have been in the militaryMr williamson - Old maths teacher with iron finger who used to jab us very hard in the chest, im sure that wasnt allowed!Mr Bigland - pock marcked face. Thought he was king of computersMr Fitzmaurice - dputy head - with breath that resembled, well lets say fish....Mrs walker - Frech teacher with a personailty disorder. used to scream and shout like a hyena on acidMrs Gill, great art teacher, but with google eyes. never knew if she was looking at you or the wall!M.V. PULIS. - Head Teacher from late 97ish, allllways talking about respect, Mrs Cudworth, mr beardmores wife - always wore short skin tight skirts and used to sit on the desk in front of us all so we could catch a glimspe haha, Mrs Brown - French Teacher with a flat flat chest!!!Mr Derrick - P.E teacher who used to smoke like a chemicals factory, with a over hang belly....great for P.E!Mrs Mcilwee, nowt bad can be said about this looker, apart form she was married to simon derrick the PE teacher.Mrs Musgrave, old ooking teacher who was a dead ringer for anne robinson before A.R had face lifts and botox!cant think of the rest at the mo, but if i do ill post em, these were teachgin when i was there 96-01 and many was teaching since dinosaurs roamed,
Man be the downfall of man

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

ReddaDrops wrote: Mrs Wadington - a frail old art teacher, who looked like a skeloton Mrs Waddington was a good looking woman back the '70's. She was the object of one of my first ever schoolboy crushes.     

TONYIANW

Post by TONYIANW »

Does anyone have any pictures/plans of when the school was first built in the 60's. I want to see the school when it was first built. Anyone??
im trying to find pictures and history of Braimwood Boys Highschool which closed in June 2006. As yet ive had no such luck, any ideas please!!! (1960-2006)