WAR MEMORIAL

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
leodisman

Post by leodisman »

Hi everyoneI am looking for a World War 1 War memorial in the Burley Road area. Can anyone help. I have looked in the beautiful St Mathias church but with no luck. Many thanks.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Cant say ive seen one,but usually war memorials tend to be either as you already know in a church/church yard or in the centre of the particular area.As the original Burley village is on what is now a large bumpy field on Burley road opposite the tyre place,then perhaps this may be what you are probably best to look .There is a memorial in St Margaets on Cardigan Road,a transcription of which by a chap called steve miller i have copied below.Its from a mainly family history sight called Yorkhire indexers,you have to register to access the site but it has a photo of the memorial[Centre Panel]REMEMBER O LORD IN THY PITY THESE THY SERVANTS WHO DIED FOR KING & COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR.[Left Panel]Frank ALLMANOrriel BRIGGSWm. Henry BROWNJohn Wm. BROWNWm Redvers BROWNAlbert BARKERTom BARFFHarold BATESONFrank BOWEJoseph BLAKEYArthur BROWNRIDGEHarry CAUNTLeonard CROSSLEYArthur CROWTHERHorace CLAYTONAlbert DICKINSONFred ALTOFTEd. Leonard DEMAINETho. Parkinson GANNONBen. Arthur LAMBERTArthur F. H. KELKEdward DICKINSONCharles DEWESHarry EVERESTGeorge FLINTHerbert FREEMANWm. Henry FEARWalter FOWLERGeorge GRAINGERThos. Henry GOWEREdwin HARGREAVESIsaac Hen. HOLROYDGeo. Richd. HODGSONHarry DERBYSHIREAlbert HILLGeorge HEALDGeo. Arthur HUTTONArthur HOLLANDFred W. JACKSONTom LEIGHHarry LEEPercy MASONHarry MANNWm. MACAULAYLeonard MANNFred MASONRichard CLOUGHG. WAITE[Right Panel]Leonard MASONWillm R. MENNELLNorman MORANTHerbert McCONNELLGuy McLARENDan MITCHELLFrank MORTIMERJames McCULLOCHJoseph MUSGRAVEReginald Bolton NAYLORAlbert NUTTERArthur Lumley NELSONHarold WILKINSONArthur WOODHarold OWRAMPatrick O'NEILLHenry PATTISONNoel Stanley PRIESTLEYHarry PARKERJames PETCHBertie POLLARDJames PAPEGeo Albert PRESTONArthur ROUNDELLGeorge ROBINSONArthur Denton ROGERSCecil Walter RHODESJohn SALTEREdmun STEADCrawford STOKOEHenry TATTERSFIELDFrank Winterburn RELTONRobert SUTTONArthur STOREYSydney SIMONGeorge SCHOFIELDClifford TERRYFred TURNERArthur WARLEYGeo Austin WRESTNorman WILSONNorman WILLEYHerbert WILSONWalter WALKERThos. WATERFIELDEdwin James WOODAlbert WHITELOCKArthur GAMONSONIf you go on the page on the site there are hyperlinks for a number of individuals on it,giving some details as to where killed etc.If you are researching a person killed during the great war or just about all the modern wars then the commnwealth war graves commision website is worth a visit.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

MsJ2uk

Post by MsJ2uk »

i have a great-great-great uncle who was killed in France WW1. One of the websites is http://www.cwgc.org
To the Skeptic, no proof is possible.To the Believer, no proof is necessary.

leodisman

Post by leodisman »

Hi cnosi, thank you for your information. I will have another ride round the area that you suggest and also a look in Burley Park. St Margerets on Cardigan Road and the Yorkshire Indexers web sight sounds very interesting, I will let you know how I get on.The names that I am researching are ARTHUR EDWARD MALLABY who lived at 8 Poplar Street and HARRY?HENRY FLETCHER who lived at 29 Bankfield Terrace, neither are on the list that you kindly printed for me. Many thanks once again.Leodisman

leodisman

Post by leodisman »

MsJ2uk wrote: i have a great-great-great uncle who was killed in France WW1. One of the websites is http://www.cwgc.org thank you for the suggestion. I have been on the CWGC web sight and did aquire some useful information. ie date of death and cemetery in France, parents names and the home address in Burley village. Best wishes.Leodisman

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

leodisman wrote: MsJ2uk wrote: i have a great-great-great uncle who was killed in France WW1. One of the websites is http://www.cwgc.org thank you for the suggestion. I have been on the CWGC web sight and did aquire some useful information. ie date of death and cemetery in France, parents names and the home address in Burley village. Best wishes.Leodisman How about the National Roll of Honour,im not sure if its on cd rom.Also depending on when they were killed they may appear on the absent voters list,which has been researched and has an index at the local studies room at Leeds central library
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

leodisman

Post by leodisman »

cnosni wrote: leodisman wrote: MsJ2uk wrote: i have a great-great-great uncle who was killed in France WW1. One of the websites is http://www.cwgc.org thank you for the suggestion. I have been on the CWGC web sight and did aquire some useful information. ie date of death and cemetery in France, parents names and the home address in Burley village. Best wishes.Leodisman How about the National Roll of Honour,im not sure if its on cd rom.Also depending on when they were killed they may appear on the absent voters list,which has been researched and has an index at the local studies room at Leeds central library thank you again CNOSNI, looks like a visit to the Central Library in the near future. Last year I went to the WW1 Battlefields of the Somme and found HARRY FLETCHER'S grave, he is honoured in the BLIGHTY VALLEY CEMETERY on the Somme. I then wondered if he was honoured on a memorial back home in Leeds. I felt sure that there would be a memorial in the old Burley Village, but as you say it might have been removed over the years. Many Thanks.    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

did anyone see that programme with Ian Hislop. He did an almost national tour about the WWI memorials and how prolific they are, but are now being forgotten about as older people die off and the younger ones either don't know or care what they are even there for.I think there is a list somewhere detailing all the memorials that were put up written because of this programme. - Needle in a haystack though contacting the BBC i would have thought...

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: did anyone see that programme with Ian Hislop. He did an almost national tour about the WWI memorials and how prolific they are, but are now being forgotten about as older people die off and the younger ones either don't know or care what they are even there for.I think there is a list somewhere detailing all the memorials that were put up written because of this programme. - Needle in a haystack though contacting the BBC i would have thought... The Yorkshire Indexers are trying to record Yorkshire memorials on their site. Leodisman-Were the people you are looking for living in Burley at the time?Is there not a possibility that they or their family had moved,albeit temporarily?Also you need to take into account non conformist church/chapels because there is also the possibility that these persons may have dabbled in non conformist denominations.Ive found that when researching such things you should try to be as open minded as possible as to where to look.    

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Moved to 'Buildings and structures' sectionCheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.