Lost stately homes

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jan8

Post by jan8 »

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... umA=trueIt looks a nice property for £725,00. Shame that I can't afford it. I wonder what the council tax is? Band G which in Leeds is £1872pa. The highest band is presently £2246.Mind if alterations increase the value, a property can be moved to an higher band when certain events take place such as change of ownership.Hey my Mum & Dad live there, don't be putting any potential buyers off with possible council tax increases :-)
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jan8 wrote: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... miumA=true It looks a nice property for £725,00. Shame that I can't afford it. I wonder what the council tax is? Band G which in Leeds is £1872pa. The highest band is presently £2246.Mind if alterations increase the value, a property can be moved to an higher band when certain events take place such as change of ownership.Hey my Mum & Dad live there, don't be putting any potential buyers off with possible council tax increases :-)Sorry. Mind you, I would guess that anyone that can afford to buy the property will not have any concerns about the council tax band. I suspect there should be no difficulty in selling what seems to be very nice property that also has an history.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: jan8 wrote: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... miumA=true It looks a nice property for £725,00. Shame that I can't afford it. I wonder what the council tax is? Band G which in Leeds is £1872pa. The highest band is presently £2246.Mind if alterations increase the value, a property can be moved to an higher band when certain events take place such as change of ownership.Hey my Mum & Dad live there, don't be putting any potential buyers off with possible council tax increases :-)Sorry. Mind you, I would guess that anyone that can afford to buy the property will not have any concerns about the council tax band. I suspect there should be no difficulty in selling what seems to be very nice property that also has an history. Sorry old boy!! Was just surprised that it was not the top band - just to keep the record staright for the mass of SL readers flocking to take up the option - there's nothing pending at this time, so buy before you alter and you're laughing

parlington

Post by parlington »

Middleton Sheriff wrote: Anybody remember a lovely old house that stood off North Lane, Roundhay, it was called Mayo House and was demolished in the mid 1970s. It was just about where Mayo Close is now and used to have extensive gardens where the Elmetes now are built. I must have missed this when it was first posted, but if you are interested in lost old Stately Houses in the Leeds area, surely have a look at my research on http:www.parlington.co.uk you will find a huge amunt of information!

Pooka

Re:

Post by Pooka »

rikj wrote:Knowsthorpe Old Hall is split between the Osmondthorpe and South Leeds sheets. South Leeds also has Knowsthorpe New Hall, and Knowsthorpe House. Difficult to imagine there was a whole village there once.One of the biggest houses to go must be Parlington, "sister" house to Lotherton Hall. Fortunately, thanks to the efforts of one person, its history is much better documented than most of these lost houses. Google it.Fortunately some houses were preserved through them being donated to the city, or purchased by the council. Roundhay Mansion, Lotherton Hall, Gott's Mansion and other smaller, but nevertheless grand houses.Unfortunately other grand houses are still being demolished. Rutland Lodge and St Ann's Grange are two more recent ones that spring to mind. Other ones are still lying derelict awaiting the arson attack that will allow the council to give the OK for demolition.
St Ann's Grange on St Ann's Lane was never demolished, it was turned into flats - but the building is listed so it still has a lot of the original features. From looking into the history of the place and asking around it seems the place was built in 1846 and may have started as a private residence, but other things I heard was that it was a hospital for children with tuberculosis, and also the German embassy according to Leodis.

St Ann's Lodge next door - which is now student accommodation - was once a private residence belonging to "new money" - I can't remember his name but he made his money from cloth during the industrial revoluton. I only found this out as I was at Temple Newsam looking at their list of paintings and one had St Ann's Lodge in the background, with this information in the painting catalogue.

Pooka

Re:

Post by Pooka »

rikj wrote:Knowsthorpe Old Hall is split between the Osmondthorpe and South Leeds sheets. South Leeds also has Knowsthorpe New Hall, and Knowsthorpe House. Difficult to imagine there was a whole village there once.One of the biggest houses to go must be Parlington, "sister" house to Lotherton Hall. Fortunately, thanks to the efforts of one person, its history is much better documented than most of these lost houses. Google it.Fortunately some houses were preserved through them being donated to the city, or purchased by the council. Roundhay Mansion, Lotherton Hall, Gott's Mansion and other smaller, but nevertheless grand houses.Unfortunately other grand houses are still being demolished. Rutland Lodge and St Ann's Grange are two more recent ones that spring to mind. Other ones are still lying derelict awaiting the arson attack that will allow the council to give the OK for demolition.
St Ann's Grange on St Ann's Lane was never demolished, it was turned into flats - but the building is listed so it still has a lot of the original features. From looking into the history of the place and asking around it seems the place was built in 1846 and may have started as a private residence, but other things I heard was that it was a hospital for children with tuberculosis, and also the German embassy according to Leodis.

St Ann's Lodge next door - which is now student accommodation - was once a private residence belonging to "new money" - I can't remember his name but he made his money from cloth during the industrial revoluton. I only found this out as I was at Temple Newsam looking at their list of paintings and one had St Ann's Lodge in the background, with this information in the painting catalogue.