Asket Hall

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

frisbee wrote: raveydavey wrote: I can remember that area being a little wilderness criss-crossed with lots of little paths and tall grass in the summer, but I don't remember any lakes when it rained. I think it happened during the summer of 77 which I remember being a summer of intense rainfall, much like last summer. The main area of lake was at the bottom of the ridge in the gap between house about halfway up the street called The Rein. As I recall, there was a hollow dip here which is where the water accumulated. I think the area must have been levelled out when the wasteland was transformed.I certainly remember during most years summer months the grass grew very high and there were natural footpaths that had been trodden down over the years. It was quite a scary place to go in there on your own. I remember that 'little event' too, The local kids damned the tunnel on purpose. It was a huge boating lake for a week or so!     
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: 'We took those footpaths every day to school at Foxwood'When were you there Parksider? 1967 to 1972.......And you?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: 'We took those footpaths every day to school at Foxwood'When were you there Parksider? 1967 to 1972.......And you? Rats that probably makes me older! left the 6th in '70.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: 'We took those footpaths every day to school at Foxwood'When were you there Parksider? 1967 to 1972.......And you? Rats that probably makes me older! left the 6th in '70. Do the names Spooner, Turton, Clayton, Dykes, Dack, Cocker, Cantrill, Mainds, White, Baines, Parr, mean anything to you?can you add any to that list?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: 'We took those footpaths every day to school at Foxwood'When were you there Parksider? 1967 to 1972.......And you? Rats that probably makes me older! left the 6th in '70. Do the names Spooner, Turton, Clayton, Dykes, Dack, Cocker, Cantrill, Mainds, White, Baines, Parr, mean anything to you?can you add any to that list? You started just after the Real Head, Matthew Rowlands moved.Spooner was the replacement. My enduring memory of him, the entire scholl having tried to impress for several days, is of this squat little man dressed (always) in a grey suit with trousers too long, jacket that he couldn't fasten, school tie looking as though he'd been hung up by it, standing in assembly and telling US in his almost indechiperal Brummie accent what a scruffy bunch we were. Big mistake in gaing any respect!'Clanger' Clayton, Maths and cycling, all the others, White, Physics and completely ambidextrous (the things you remember!).Horsefield, Dixon Mike Talbot and Mike Barrand, Bucktrout, Gerald, Bacon Rose, the 'strange' inhabitants of the music department.... the list goes on.A good place in the begining - sadly changing when Mr Rowlands left (his son was a pupil there with us).

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Do you perchance remember the production of Oliver! we did, or was that just before you?    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: Do you perchance remember the production of Oliver! we did, or was that just before you?     My brother was at the school until 1970 - he's 55 now I think?So when Oliver was done we went to see it.It was very good. I saw Oliver again at Ralph Thoresby last year and that was awesome!I recall Clanger as one of the last masters to wear the black gown and even on occasions the mortarboard!!Mr. White in Physics was nicknamed "Hitler".I walked around the school grounds before xmas and a lot flooded back to me!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: Do you perchance remember the production of Oliver! we did, or was that just before you?     My brother was at the school until 1970 - he's 55 now I think?So when Oliver was done we went to see it.It was very good. I saw Oliver again at Ralph Thoresby last year and that was awesome!I recall Clanger as one of the last masters to wear the black gown and even on occasions the mortarboard!!Mr. White in Physics was nicknamed "Hitler".I walked around the school grounds before xmas and a lot flooded back to me!' perhaps 'herr weiss' would be a better name??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

wiggy wrote: The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: Do you perchance remember the production of Oliver! we did, or was that just before you?     My brother was at the school until 1970 - he's 55 now I think?So when Oliver was done we went to see it.It was very good. I saw Oliver again at Ralph Thoresby last year and that was awesome!I recall Clanger as one of the last masters to wear the black gown and even on occasions the mortarboard!!Mr. White in Physics was nicknamed "Hitler".I walked around the school grounds before xmas and a lot flooded back to me!' perhaps 'herr weiss' would be a better name?? Mr White had an amazing ability when writing on the blackboard - standing to the left, he'd start writning with his left hand, half way across he'd change sides and finish writing with his right hand. Then the party piece, he could write the whole line again, literally from the end to the begining (backwards) so that there were two identical lines of writing on the board!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: Do you perchance remember the production of Oliver! we did, or was that just before you?     My brother was at the school until 1970 - he's 55 now I think?So when Oliver was done we went to see it.It was very good. I saw Oliver again at Ralph Thoresby last year and that was awesome!I recall Clanger as one of the last masters to wear the black gown and even on occasions the mortarboard!!Mr. White in Physics was nicknamed "Hitler".I walked around the school grounds before xmas and a lot flooded back to me! Oliver! was the largest production ever undertaken there, Mike Barrand's leaving present. The entire school turned over to it for some three months with the hall being converted to a massive stage area with orchestra pit in the middle.I was quite involved with it and will never forget the effort that went into it. I doubt such a feat would even be allowed today. Biggest let down - lent out my 'scrap book' of every picture taken and newspaper clipping (dozens) and other momentos, nevr got it back.