Asket Hall

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
The Parksider
PostsCOLON 1546
JoinedCOLON Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 10:33 pm

If you pt this in the leodis search you get an amazing old house with terraces of stone built walling, steps and gardens fit for a Lord.

Although I lived round there in the 1960/70's I never knew of it.

If it was pulled down beforehand it was a heck of a building/estate to pull down.

Anyone know of this mansion? who was it for when was it demolished and why??

My Godfrey map for Roundhay just misses showing the area where the hall was. My. 1935 map shows nothing.

annoyingly Godfrey didn't do the sheet south of roundhay and north of east leeds - and he told me he ain't gonna do it in the near future either.....

BBBOOOOOOOO!
grumpytramp
PostsCOLON 331
JoinedCOLON Mon 24 Sep, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby grumpytramp » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 11:39 pm

I would hazard a guess that Asket Hall must have sat somewhere on Asket Hill (perhaps near where North Lane meets Wyke Beck take a look at some of the 1:10,560 maps at http://www.old-maps.co.uk centred on coordinates 433900, 436700 note Lodge marked at bottom of North Lane)

If this is the case it was presumably demolished to make way for the extension of Easterly Road which was completed in the early 1930's (see http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002326_18635195&DISPLAY=FULL )
The Parksider
PostsCOLON 1546
JoinedCOLON Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:32 am

grumpytramp wrote:
I would hazard a guess that Asket Hall must have sat somewhere on Asket Hill (perhaps near where North Lane meets Wyke Beck take a look at some of the 1:10,560 maps at http://www.old-maps.co.uk centred on coordinates 433900, 436700 note Lodge marked at bottom of North Lane)

If this is the case it was presumably demolished to make way for the extension of Easterly Road which was completed in the early 1930's (see http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002326_18635195&DISPLAY=FULL )



Thanks ever so for that GT.

the site was a bit rubbish for navigation. The 1893 map had the detail but no ability to zoom in.

It seems the layout of this "estate" is all there on the 1893 map as hard as it is to see the detail.

My 1935 map shows the same roadway through the estate from the bottom of north lane before it dog legs, back up thro the estate to half way up asket hill.

I don't think easterly road impinged on this.

I reckon a field visit is in order.

No doubt the Thoresby Society boffins will know all about Asket hall. I will be speaking to one tommorrow!!
User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 5462
JoinedCOLON Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:45 am

I have the old 2.5" OS sheet 33 of the area with 'partial revisions' from '38 to '50.

Leodis describes the Hall as situated south of Wetherby Road - the only buildings on there (apart from the old Police Station) are the ones which appear on the lower edge of the 1906 Godfrey map. If I understand your bearings for the North Lane 'dog leg' Parksider, I think are the ones you refer to.

One of the comments on Leodis talks of 'Children returning from school', perhaps suggesting demolition not too far in the past, though certainly not shown on the 74 versions.

The Parksider
PostsCOLON 1546
JoinedCOLON Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Mon 31 Dec, 2007 1:00 am

chameleon wrote:
I have the old 2.5" OS sheet 33 of the area with 'partial revisions' from '38 to '50.

Leodis describes the Hall as situated south of Wetherby Road - the only buildings on there (apart from the old Police Station) are the ones which appear on the lower edge of the 1906 Godfrey map. If I understand your bearings for the North Lane 'dog leg' Parksider, I think are the ones you refer to.

One of the comments on Leodis talks of 'Children returning from school', perhaps suggesting demolition not too far in the past, though certainly not shown on the 74 versions.


Yes from where the estate is entered off north lane when the road doglegs, you go up a roadway that appears on the 1908 map ate the end near asket hill.

Indeed there are 2 buildings - one at right angles to AH and one along AH.

Some glasshouses are shown.

Maybe this is Asket Hall gatehouse and hall and grounds.

Hard to reconcile with the very grand piccies on Leodis!!!

THANKS for your efforts!!!!!!

User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 5462
JoinedCOLON Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Mon 31 Dec, 2007 1:17 am

'Hard to reconcile with the very grand piccies on Leodis!!!'

Often the case parksider - I suppose when you stand with a camera looking at a building, suconciously you note its location - not a lot of use 50+ years later!!

I've learned that for every such picture I now take, I take a complimentary one showing a wider aspedt and other features to allow the location to be identified. Never know, someone may see them in the future and be grateful. Is this hindsight becoming foresight for future sight.... time I went to bed!
The Parksider
PostsCOLON 1546
JoinedCOLON Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Thu 03 Jan, 2008 12:38 am

chameleon wrote:
'Hard to reconcile with the very grand piccies on Leodis!!!'

Often the case parksider - I suppose when you stand with a camera looking at a building, suconciously you note its location - not a lot of use 50+ years later!!

I've learned that for every such picture I now take, I take a complimentary one showing a wider aspedt and other features to allow the location to be identified. Never know, someone may see them in the future and be grateful. Is this hindsight becoming foresight for future sight.... time I went to bed!


I had a look at the site today.

leodis shows the hall with a terraced garden down to a lower level, it also shows what it thinks is the gatehouse. In both cases it says the buildings were demolished.

Where North Lane doglegs I found the REAL gatehouse still there - asket lodge. the drive up to the house is still there but blocked where some housing has been built.

To get onto the drive behind the housing there's a footpath up Wyke Beck from Easterly Road. Taking that I found the continuation of the drive at the point where it crosses Wyke beck and a grand three church type arch bridge wide enough for a horse and carriage still sit's over the beck - going nowhere.

As you stand on the brige you can look up the steep hillside (ladywood Grove and Ladywood nead now stands on the site) and you CAN reconcile the picture of the old hall with the lie of the land.

All the grand landscaping stonework is gone apart from a few blocks strewn about and some in the beck where a footbridge looks to have been. So without the stone walls the erracing has gone.

Finally what is alleged to be the gatehouse on leodis actually still stands. It is a building that is quite grand and ornate - too good for a gatehouse, and it looks completely down to the beck and it turns it's back on Asket Hill.

the front has carved stone and carries the date 1881.

So I have had a brilliant afternoon doing a bit of local field history!!!
User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 5462
JoinedCOLON Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Thu 03 Jan, 2008 12:45 am

That's a message that clearly expresses your glee and satisfaction Parksider! And a very complete result too.

I wonder - if it were not for this site, would you even be aware of such things, let alone go trotting off through the wilderness in the freezing cold to explore - Secret Leeds has much to answer for! (I suppose the exercise does us good too!).

LS1
PostsCOLON 2155
JoinedCOLON Mon 23 Jul, 2007 8:30 am

Postby LS1 » Thu 03 Jan, 2008 12:58 am

Whats the Springwood gates posts that stil stand on Oakwood Lane? JUst at the brow of the hill going up on the left from the library. Half the post is built into the house there now, and they look so out of place, in comparison to the building there now.

I think it says Springwood etched into the posts, or something along those lines...
The Parksider
PostsCOLON 1546
JoinedCOLON Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:55 am

Postby The Parksider » Thu 03 Jan, 2008 1:16 am

LS1 wrote:
Whats the Springwood gates posts that stil stand on Oakwood Lane? JUst at the brow of the hill going up on the left from the library. Half the post is built into the house there now, and they look so out of place, in comparison to the building there now.

I think it says Springwood etched into the posts, or something along those lines...


Godfrey again shows a house called Springwood which those gates would have been the etrance to.

It's just off the map and the absence of sheet 203.15 in the Gidfrey series is annoying because it's my old stamping ground!!

Today I was in the area and another house - Towerhouse, just behind springwood has also gone, but the gateposts and wall remains.

On North Lane North Hill has gone. Eller Close is still there and it's got quite a grand entrance with great columns!! however that grand entrance is no longer at the end of a long drive but on a street of semis!!!

I find that sometimes only gateposts remain. I wonder if they were hard to get out, and of no real value for reclamation??

Up Dib Lane there are two grand gateposts - but gosh darn it - No Godfrey map - so a visit to local history is long overdue....

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2 and 0 guests