Asket Hall

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Sorry chamelion, getting late, not sure I understand your last post. I was refering to the other post by parksider about the boundary to Roundhay Park which i thought was down by Askett Hall. I misquoted Steven Burt thinking he refered to the ditch there but he was actually refering in his book about the history of the park, to a ditch on the north east boundary. Just so happens that there is a ditch near the red x I marked which i thought could also be part of said ditch!

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Parksider - Wiggy , which bridge are you on about, if you come down Dib Lane, past the shops, past where eastfileds used to be, turn right, there was a path running alongside the beck, and about 100metres down was a bridge, but not ornate . . I wonder if I know either of you two from my youth, I lived in Saket Gart, where did you two live?Jeff

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Sorry, make that Asket Garth

LS1

Post by LS1 »

It's on the other side of Easterly Road to Eastfields, up the Wyke Beck. Follow it over and you can't miss it.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

i always used to wonder what that bridge was all about it seems to stick out as being to grand for the surroundings it also looks a bit Gothic in the way its constructed with the little arches running under-neath if i take the dogs down that way tomorrow il try and take a pic of it.    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: Sorry chamelion, getting late, not sure I understand your last post. I was refering to the other post by parksider about the boundary to Roundhay Park which i thought was down by Askett Hall. I misquoted Steven Burt thinking he refered to the ditch there but he was actually refering in his book about the history of the park, to a ditch on the north east boundary. Just so happens that there is a ditch near the red x I marked which i thought could also be part of said ditch! Yes it was late and I could have been more clear! Earlier in the thread we were trying to identify the location of Asket Hall on Asket Hill. Reading your post and looking at your map gave rise to my comment posted - I'm sure the notation next to buildings on Asket Hill (to the left of your marking) which we decided must be the Hall, seems to confirm this.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

jeffn wrote: Parksider - Wiggy , which bridge are you on about, if you come down Dib Lane, past the shops, past where eastfileds used to be, turn right, there was a path running alongside the beck, and about 100metres down was a bridge, but not ornate . . I wonder if I know either of you two from my youth, I lived in Saket Gart, where did you two live?st wilfrids avenue....but i roamed...unbeknown to my parents!!     
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

just looked on google,as i remember it,it was just off where the 70s houses on asket hill,opposite side to elmete way.it looked,as i remember like a run down flambards hall,big blocks of yorkshire stone and old urns strewn all over.i remember it having a kind of sunken garden or pond,where i and old school mate garry lister would get taddies.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: [If you look on page three of the Burt book he states "part of the original boundary stil exitsts on the north east corner of the estate" the footnote says this is now on private land. Looking at the pic attached of the map on page 2 of the book you can see where wetherby road is, and the dotted line of the park boundary. Where i have put the red cross is roughly the modern junction of Easterly Road and Wetherby Road. Just here there is a big ditch almost parallel to Easterly Road, which appears to continue for a short way on the other side of Wetherby Road (which is on land part of Roundhay Grange Farm). If this is not part of the original ditch I wonder what it is. I realise now that the land burt mentions is near Red Hall (con't on next post).. Lovely old map.From Asket Hill bottom opposite Eastfield a stream joins wyke beck and it runs up to roundhay grange eventually.The land on the east side or easterly road side is significantly higher/steeper than the west side of the stream.About 20 yards on from Asket hill bottom I recall a stone arch bridge crossed the beck. It was narrow and only earth covered and deteriorating so we never walked across it - you could jump the beck easy enough.That old bridge fascinated me in the 60's as it went nowhere.The east side is steep all the way up to the more modern bridge and then to wetherby road. The stream goes under wetherby road into the private wood.can you pinpoint that ditch exactly?? Where is it in relation to the stream. How big does a ditch have to be before it keeps the deer in? Thanks again for the map.On it above low wood and the quarry is an old house "Ash Bank House" we lived in the estate and we used to creep through the creepy woods, through the creepy quarry and through some bushes into the back garden of the creepy house.As kids we had tales of bodies under the floor, and treasure found in droves there.I'd love to see a pic of it and know who lived there.......

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS1 wrote: but i figure on the attached pic from Google Earth the ring road marks roughly the park boundary originally - could be wrong but I reakon the ditch may be in the red circle I have drawn. (Roundhay Grange is in the bottom left area the only building near the golf course)- incedentally does anyone know what that massive complex is with the entry on the rign road. Its huge and on the pic is just to the left of Red Hall. It's a council depot I think for streets and gardens etc and i think those are greenhouses where they do nursery plants. On my way to Red Hall today for the Leeds RL tickets for the world championship I passed a council van turning in there....