Planning application to demolish The Core Shopping Centre.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Planning application to demolish The Core Shopping Centre.

Post by Leodian »

In a list of Leeds City Council planning applications in the Yorkshire Evening Post today (Oct 6 2023) there is one to demolish The Core Shopping centre. Its application number is 23/05271/FU and in that it states "Demolition of the existing building and the erection of new buildings to accommodate retail and community uses at ground floor and purpose-built student accommodation at upper floors...". That "purpose-built student accommodation" is a surprise (not!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: Planning application to demolish The Core Shopping Centre.

Post by tilly »

Leeds will have 100% student population in the city centre the way things are going i hope it does not end up like Headingly at the end of term.Streets with gardens filled with rubbish i can just imagine old sofas and and the like dotted around the city centre.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I suspect that the foreign students whose wealthy parents can afford to buy or rent these new-build city-centre flats may be a different kettle of fish to the ones who dump old sofas. :D
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

blackprince wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2023 11:00 am
I suspect that the foreign students whose wealthy parents can afford to buy or rent these new-build city-centre flats may be a different kettle of fish to the ones who dump old sofas. :D
Hi blackprince. That is a very valid comment. With what seems to be high numbers of student's accommodation already available and about to become available I assume that developers still think there will be a demand for them. The newly open (and nice looking) Terry Frost Building off North Street for example is said to hold around 410 students with (from a site I saw) charges ranging from £187 to £257 per week of occupancy depending on the degree of luxury wanted. I expect it will not be long before older (but still relatively recent) constructions become less appealing having less luxury and start to get demolished so that new ones can be built in their place.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.