The Gaiety

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

Just wondered prior to the building of The Gaiety on Rounhay Road there was a cinema called The Gaiety Kinema-yes with a K, does anyone know why it was spelt like this?

Si

Post by Si »

Yeah. Cinema was originally pronounced with a hard "C" and was therefore occasionally spelt with a K. The pronunciation changed over time.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Si wrote: Yeah. Cinema was originally pronounced with a hard "C" and was therefore occasionally spelt with a K. The pronunciation changed over time. I think you'll find the word [ and its derivatives ] when originally used began with a " k " and is derived from the verb " kineo "[ I assume Latin or Greek ] meaning " to move " .
roundhegian

Si

Post by Si »

You're right. I think it's Greek.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Well you learn summat new every day!!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

...and we're learning French with Alicecake on the Big Wooden Snake thread!!!

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Lol - how multi-cultural!I never knew about the 'K' thing either - very interesting.

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

cheers, obviousley I new that, it was mi dad that just wanted it clarifying ;-)Thanks again

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Si wrote: You're right. I think it's Greek. IT IS GREEK.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

wiggy wrote: Si wrote: You're right. I think it's Greek. IT IS GREEK. Greek for a car is ena "Aftokineto". An "automobile" I suppose. Which explains why the yanks and some continentals call cars "autos" and half the continent call a theatre showing moving pictures a Kino. The latin-esque languages use the C form.Maybe it was considered more fashionable at the time to use the "K" form when the Gaieity was built.Catchy isn't it?Hey mam, I'm just off to t' Gaiety Kinematograph wi' Gladys Murgatroyd to watch a moving picture !Certainly in the UK broadcast TV industry "Telecine" has always been called as such but abbreviated to "TK".
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.