Building the Schofields Centre

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Thanks for explaining that Si, most helpfull.Is that from a Godfrey edition map? Whenever someone posts part of a map I always want to see the rest of it, always some word that's cut off that is intriguing.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

LS1, the 2 pics above that you have posted appear to be taken roughly from the same place, the whole detailing of the actual building is the same (ignore extra small buildings, railings etc). The one with the Garage in the side looks like it will be a later pic than the one that has king Charles Croft so this would make King Charles croft (gone and built over by the garage pic) at the rear of the building and the road that is at the side going up:- king Charles street so placing red hall directly where the schofields centre is now.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Sorry Si, just seen your map. That's where i would have put it aswell but i do think the 2 previously mentioned photos are of the same part of red hall

Si

Post by Si »

I agree. There isn't another corner of the building which would match. The most recent picture (with the garage) shows what a poor state the place had got into by then. I don't think they'd let a backstreet garage knock a hole in a building of that age these days! (Could be wrong, mind.)LS1 - you're right about the map. They are reasonably priced and delivery is very quick (sound like a salesman!) Which bit is intriguing you?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

LS1 wrote: This pic says it was taken from King Charles Croft, which as I mentioned before was at right angles to King Charles Street leading into Lands Lane. Part of the caption..."Undated, Image shows Red Hall, probably the first red brick building in Leeds. Built in 1628 for Alderman Thomas Metcalfe (appointed 1630) the grounds and orchard spread to Albion Street. The garden became home to the Tivoli and Theatre Royal in the 1800s."This appears to be the rear view, but if so how could it front onto Guilford Street? I think the two pics I posted of the rear show on the extreme left Guildford Street just peeping out.    

Si

Post by Si »

That's right. Guildford Street (or The Headrow, as it is now) was much narrower then. Also of interest is that Woodhouse Lane joins Guildford Street/Upper Head Row where Dortmund Square now is, as opposed to the Albion Street junction. Albion Street continues north (on the map) and then doglegs east into Coronation Street(???) before joining Woodhouse Lane further up. There is also an almost dead straight line between buildings parallel to Butts Court marked "Site of the Park Butts." Anyone any idea what that is?

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I believe that the Park Butts is supposed to be the medieval location of where subjects had to attend archery practice.There was a system of pressed training for men of certain ages but to make sure that individuals couldn't get out of it, there were official archery ranges, or butts.I am surprised though that medieval Leeds would have stretched up as far as this though, I would have thought a location for such a place would be closer toward the former manor at Mill Hill area, but maybe history says differant.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Didn't it used to be called Merry Boys Hill, and then Butts court in honour of the bow and arrow practive that once took place on the site. I though that there was a bow and arrow maker on the site at one point (what is that called??) which would suggest this is why it was called site of tha park butts

Si

Post by Si »

Makes sense. Butts is still used today,ie: grouse butts. An arrowmaker is a fletcher. I guess a bowmaker is a bowman? Probably not Mr Toxopholite! It's also on the edge of the Park Square area.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

That area was all originally part of the Park of the manor house, (Manor house being where the Scabrough Hotel is now) hence Park Square, Park Lane, Park Place etc etc. This was all bought up provately eventually, and Park Sq. Was the first to be built. I have heard it told that at one time there wasa clear view from the houses on Park Sq right down to the river. Anyway, off topic now so better shut up!