Kirkgate Chambers, Kirkgate Markets, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
volvojack

Re: Kirkgate Chambers, Kirkgate Markets, Leeds.

Post by volvojack »

Hello Ian,
Have Googled / Leodis for Kirkgate Market Entrance to see if there was a picture but although there are some wonderful old pictures The only entrance is the i can find is the one on the corner of Vicar Lane / Kirkgate, not the one lower down
Last edited by volvojack on Tue 29 Jan, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

13th December 1975, the date that cigarette smoking saved my life.
I was with a colleague. in the narrow alleyway between the main market buildings and Westminster Buildings, 50 yards from the junction of Harper Street. We were directing a jet of water onto the market building which was almost vertically above us. In the confined space it was extremely hot and exhausting work.
My colleague, suggested that we turned the hose off and went into New York Street for a break. he had a cigarette. We heard a tremendous crash and returned to our hose, to find it buried, the market wall had collapsed onto it, had we not moved for a cigarette, we would have been buried with it, possibly ex-firemen.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your continuing contributions to this thread :).

That was a very fortunate escape warringtonrhino. No need Ian for your "I apologise to Leodian for going 'off topic' as I would easily win an Olympic 'Going off topic' event if there was one! ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

And people say smoking is bad for your health!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:Hello Ian,
Have Googled / Leodis for Kirkgate Market Entrance to see if there was a picture but although there are some wonderful old pictures The only entrance is the i can find is the one on the corner of Vicar Lane / Kirkgate, not the one lower down
Hi Jack :).

Sadly not old pictures of the Kirkgate/Call Lane entrance/exit but these are 2 views that I took on January 29 2019:-
KirkgateMarketLeedsFromKirkgateCallLaneJunctionJan292019(1)..jpg
KirkgateMarketLeedsFromKirkgateCallLaneJunctionJan292019(1)..jpg (155.27 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
KirkgateMarketLeedsFromKirkgateCallLaneJunctionJan292019(2)..jpg
KirkgateMarketLeedsFromKirkgateCallLaneJunctionJan292019(2)..jpg (168.17 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
While in the market in the Vicar Lane end section that day I hoped to take some photos of the ceiling but bright lights would have spoilt most so the one below was the only one that I took. I assume it is part of the old structure.
KirkgateMarketLeedsCeilingVicarLaneSectionJan292019..jpg
KirkgateMarketLeedsCeilingVicarLaneSectionJan292019..jpg (159.72 KiB) Viewed 6942 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Passing by Kirkgate Chambers on February 12 2019 I noticed the door was open so I had a look in and saw this gorgeous Leeds themed mosaic immediately inside. I could tell that there was work going on further inside so I quickly took these 2 photos. Unfortunately the Sun was shining on the mosaic so the photos are not the best but they still show it well. Pro Rege et Lege (For King and the Law) is the Leeds motto.
KirkgateChambersDoorwayKirkgateMarketsLeedsFeb122019(1)..jpg
KirkgateChambersDoorwayKirkgateMarketsLeedsFeb122019(1)..jpg (169.8 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
KirkgateChambersDoorwayKirkgateMarketsLeedsFeb122019(2)..jpg
KirkgateChambersDoorwayKirkgateMarketsLeedsFeb122019(2)..jpg (198.81 KiB) Viewed 6778 times

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Went past the Kirkgate Chambers entrance today, and it seems all the wooden frame has been newly replaced. Anyone know what development has prompted this?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

urban rambler wrote:Went past the Kirkgate Chambers entrance today, and it seems all the wooden frame has been newly replaced. Anyone know what development has prompted this?
Thanks for reporting that urban rambler :).

This is a photo that I took on April 24 2019 when passing by. I had to take it quickly to avoid getting people in shot as there were many around then so it is not the best composed photo!
KirkgateChambersLeedsApr242019..jpg
KirkgateChambersLeedsApr242019..jpg (144.34 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
Edit added May 24 2019. I noticed a couple of weeks or more back that the wood had been painted and now looks the same as the part that had not been replaced.