Queens Hall - classic rock venue?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

Not quite the rocky stuff, but does anybody remember seeing Elton John there, probably mid 80's (84, 85, 86), I took my dad there and promptly fainted in the crush !!But ........ also remember Thin Lizzy and Motorhead (they were on with Girlsschool am sure) early 80'sthose were definitely the days !!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

chameleon wrote: Cardiarms wrote: The sound in the O2 can be really mushy in places. I mean the Coliseum for the LSD generation. or even the Gaumont. That as well, I can't keep up nowadays. Where's me teef?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

The Merrion Centre Odeon cinema was in business for only, I think, thirteen years, and has lain empty ever since - its a central place just begging for some music or similar isn't it
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

In the news today apparently the Merrion Centre is going to get an update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... 3166Wonder what will happen to the cinema?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

leedslily wrote: In the news today apparently the Merrion Centre is going to get an update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... 3166Wonder what will happen to the cinema? This development was announced some months ago now and mentioned in the Arena Thread - as for the cinema, long been a no- go area. Doubtful they've saved the space for this given the time scale, but they've always seemed very guarded about the place for some reason.A bit more here:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Slightly off thread, but now that the Merrion Centre has been mentioned I think nearly everyone has forgotten one major feature from its early days in the late 1960s/early 1970s - the service road right through the middle at pavement level !! Inward bound buses from Woodhouse Lane used it as well, and it really was a hindrance to timekeeping believe me, especially at peak times. At the Coburg Tavern we peeled off left on to Merrion Way and then sharp right into the Centre. The road turned right at 90 degrees opposite what was then Woolworth's and descended a steepish slope (now the pedestrian entrance ramp) to rejoin Woodhouse Lane at the City side of what is now Morrison's. On the aforementioned 90 degree bend we often found large bread delivery vans etc with their ramps down or upper flaps raised, and the service was brought to a halt until the harrassed delivery men returned - not their fault of course as they had a rotten awkward job to do, and a good walk inwards with heavy items to some of the shops.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BLAKEY wrote: Slightly off thread, but now that the Merrion Centre has been mentioned I think nearly everyone has forgotten one major feature from its early days in the late 1960s/early 1970s - the service road right through the middle at pavement level !! Inward bound buses from Woodhouse Lane used it as well, and it really was a hindrance to timekeeping believe me, especially at peak times. At the Coburg Tavern we peeled off left on to Merrion Way and then sharp right into the Centre. The road turned right at 90 degrees opposite what was then Woolworth's and descended a steepish slope (now the pedestrian entrance ramp) to rejoin Woodhouse Lane at the City side of what is now Morrison's. On the aforementioned 90 degree bend we often found large bread delivery vans etc with their ramps down or upper flaps raised, and the service was brought to a halt until the harrassed delivery men returned - not their fault of course as they had a rotten awkward job to do, and a good walk inwards with heavy items to some of the shops. Think this is it BLAKEYhttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: Slightly off thread, but now that the Merrion Centre has been mentioned I think nearly everyone has forgotten one major feature from its early days in the late 1960s/early 1970s - the service road right through the middle at pavement level !! Inward bound buses from Woodhouse Lane used it as well, and it really was a hindrance to timekeeping believe me, especially at peak times. At the Coburg Tavern we peeled off left on to Merrion Way and then sharp right into the Centre. The road turned right at 90 degrees opposite what was then Woolworth's and descended a steepish slope (now the pedestrian entrance ramp) to rejoin Woodhouse Lane at the City side of what is now Morrison's. On the aforementioned 90 degree bend we often found large bread delivery vans etc with their ramps down or upper flaps raised, and the service was brought to a halt until the harrassed delivery men returned - not their fault of course as they had a rotten awkward job to do, and a good walk inwards with heavy items to some of the shops. I think we have this complete with old maps in another of the numerous threads featuring the Merrion Centre and the reclused world which still lies below it. Need to search for it later

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

chameleon wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Slightly off thread, but now that the Merrion Centre has been mentioned I think nearly everyone has forgotten one major feature from its early days in the late 1960s/early 1970s - the service road right through the middle at pavement level !! Inward bound buses from Woodhouse Lane used it as well, and it really was a hindrance to timekeeping believe me, especially at peak times. At the Coburg Tavern we peeled off left on to Merrion Way and then sharp right into the Centre. The road turned right at 90 degrees opposite what was then Woolworth's and descended a steepish slope (now the pedestrian entrance ramp) to rejoin Woodhouse Lane at the City side of what is now Morrison's. On the aforementioned 90 degree bend we often found large bread delivery vans etc with their ramps down or upper flaps raised, and the service was brought to a halt until the harrassed delivery men returned - not their fault of course as they had a rotten awkward job to do, and a good walk inwards with heavy items to some of the shops. I think we have this complete with old maps in another of the numerous threads featuring the Merrion Centre and the reclused world which still lies below it. Need to search for it later This is in General Chat under the specific thread 'Food for Thought' - original subject Wimpy Bars.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

salt 'n pepper wrote: chameleon wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Slightly off thread, but now that the Merrion Centre has been mentioned I think nearly everyone has forgotten one major feature from its early days in the late 1960s/early 1970s - the service road right through the middle at pavement level !! Inward bound buses from Woodhouse Lane used it as well, and it really was a hindrance to timekeeping believe me, especially at peak times. At the Coburg Tavern we peeled off left on to Merrion Way and then sharp right into the Centre. The road turned right at 90 degrees opposite what was then Woolworth's and descended a steepish slope (now the pedestrian entrance ramp) to rejoin Woodhouse Lane at the City side of what is now Morrison's. On the aforementioned 90 degree bend we often found large bread delivery vans etc with their ramps down or upper flaps raised, and the service was brought to a halt until the harrassed delivery men returned - not their fault of course as they had a rotten awkward job to do, and a good walk inwards with heavy items to some of the shops. I think we have this complete with old maps in another of the numerous threads featuring the Merrion Centre and the reclused world which still lies below it. Need to search for it later This is in General Chat under the specific thread 'Food for Thought' - original subject Wimpy Bars. I was thinking more of this one:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ght=1There are others too - inevitable consequence when thread content trips a memory and it spins off to include several topics! One day (day???) we should try to catalogue the site