Construction done and that going on at Wellington Place near the centre of Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Construction done and that going on at Wellington Place near the centre of Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

During a stroll on April 19 2018 I noticed that there is still construction work going on at the large Wellington Place site between Whitehall Road and Wellington Street and very close to the centre of Leeds. I took these 2 photos looking across Whitehall Road but I then had only a very quick walk through some of the Wellington Place site. It's been a while since I've been in the site and the massive change in the area is quite amazing! It looks good and it was also nice to see that among the many developments that the old railway lifting tower has been retained. I shall go back at some stage for a closer look at the site but if anyone has not been for some time it will be well worth going to have a look.

As to the photos I found the view to be like an optical illusion in that the fawn coloured structure appeared to be a totally separate development going on behind the grid network but in fact it is part of that work! Some of the old lifting tower can just be made out in the rear right in both photos.
ViewAcrossWhitehallRoadLeedsOfConstructionAtWellingtonPlaceApr192018(1)..jpg
ViewAcrossWhitehallRoadLeedsOfConstructionAtWellingtonPlaceApr192018(1)..jpg (129.29 KiB) Viewed 6273 times
ViewAcrossWhitehallRoadLeedsOfConstructionAtWellingtonPlaceApr192018(2)..jpg
ViewAcrossWhitehallRoadLeedsOfConstructionAtWellingtonPlaceApr192018(2)..jpg (144.89 KiB) Viewed 6273 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: Construction done and that going on at Wellington Place near the centre of Leeds.

Post by tilly »

Nice photographs Leodian.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

rikj

Re: Construction done and that going on at Wellington Place near the centre of Leeds.

Post by rikj »

I think these are 7-8 Wellington Place, which will house the new government hub:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... t-of-leeds

The road and cycle lane works certainly look to have had London budget sized amounts spent on them.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Looking at the Picture and reading the info. supplied by riki it seems cetain that no expence is being spared to build a Government Building ( no surprise there) It seems this will house over 6,000 civil Servants, mainly H.M.C. and Excise.
Itoccured to me that instead of building this quite central where land is quite valuable and sought after. the Leeds Council maybe cpold have got together with the Planners and off loadedthe Templar Area which must by now have become something of an embarrassment
How John Lewis would have welcomed 6,000 Lunchtime shoppers.

Just a few miles from where i live at Cheltenham there is the G.C..H.Q. (security) which also employs 6.000 Civil Servants. This has been built a few miles out of Cheltenham and Gloucester and has great links to the Motorways etc.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo of the Wellington Place development that I took on May 10 2018. It looks even more optical illusionary to me! ;)
WorkAtWellingtonPlaceLeedsMay102018..JPG
WorkAtWellingtonPlaceLeedsMay102018..JPG (138.93 KiB) Viewed 5791 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thats taking open plan a bit too far.Ha Ha.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thats taking open plan a bit too far.Ha Ha.

I agree tilly, it looks wrong on so many levels.....

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The design /build team are looking for an affordable non combustible cladding material,
it could be months before it gets finished :lol:

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Extension work on the left as seen here at the Wellington Place development is going on at a brisk rate as seen in this photo that I took on May 24 2018 compared to those I took on April 19 and May 10 2018.
WellingtonPlaceMay242018.jpg
WellingtonPlaceMay242018.jpg (167.78 KiB) Viewed 5435 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Construction of Wellington Place is continuing and these are 2 photos that I took from or near by Whitehall Road on August 30 2018. It's hard to recall now that the area used to be part of the vast railway grounds and tracks associated with Central Station.
WorkOnWellingtonPlaceLeedsFromCarParkOffWhitehallRoadAug302018..jpg
WorkOnWellingtonPlaceLeedsFromCarParkOffWhitehallRoadAug302018..jpg (185.36 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
WorkOnWellingtonPlaceLeedsFromWhitehallRoadAug302018..jpg
WorkOnWellingtonPlaceLeedsFromWhitehallRoadAug302018..jpg (203.11 KiB) Viewed 4458 times