Few remains of once lots of industry on Kirkstall Road, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tilly

Re: Few remains of once lots of industry on Kirkstall Road, Leeds.

Post by tilly »

Thanks for that buffaloskinner its nice to know the grey cells still work.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

I remember there being a tannery not far passed Fairbourn Lawson that had a stone Bull's head either over a doorway or archway over an entrance. The tannery was still operational in the 60s, but I don't know when it closed down.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As i lived in Beeston i do remember that Fairburns had a Factory just off Dewsbury Road (Below Tommy Wass Pub)
The Factory on the Corner of Jack Lane and Dewsbury Road was Hawthorn, Davey, Sultzer
Last edited by volvojack on Sun 04 Feb, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks to everyone for their help which is appreciated :).

I have however still been unable to find out what was 'Established 1854' as that does not fit in with Yorkshire Chemicals history nor the history of any of the other companies in the immediate area that I have been able to find something about. There must though presumably be something on the internet that I have not been able to find despite doing lots of searching!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As i lived in Beeston i do remember that Fairburns had a Factory just off Dewsbury Road (Below Tommy Wass Pub)
The Factory on the Corner of Jack Lane and Dewsbury Road was Hawthorn, Davey, Sultzer
Last edited by volvojack on Sun 04 Feb, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

There were two tanneries in the area, the Joppa Tannery at 87 Kirkstall Road, and the William Paul Ltd. Oak Tannery at 91 Kirkstall Road. Further along, towards Kirkstall, there was H. Foster & Co. (Stearines). There was always an awful smell in the area from Fosters. My father used to be a lorry driver at the Joppa Tannery during the early 1950's. When I left school, in 1962, I worked as an audit clerk for a local firm of Chartered Accountants and we used to do the audits for Fosters. The owner's son, Chris Foster, was an articled clerk, and then a chartered accountant, at the firm.

Ian

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

On the c1890 map it would appear that there is a row of buildings at the same place as that in the photo. It is not present on the c 1850 map. Therefore I consider that it is likely that the inscription belongs to these. They appear to be part of the Perseverance Mill, which was involved in cloth dressing. hope the map shows below, with buildings marked in red.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I agree with chemimike, although my map from 1906 is slightly different, but it seems that this belongs to Perseverance Mills, your frontage photo marked in yellow

:idea:
Attachments
Perseverance Mill.JPG
Perseverance Mill.JPG (216.32 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Many thanks all for the information and maps :).

During my attempts to find information on what was 'Established 1854' I did wonder if its site may be where indicated in the maps but even so I was never able to find what company was established then. It seemed that the Perseverance site might have had a number of small companies there so perhaps 1854 was when one of those was established, or not as may be the case!

During my searching I came across an online thesis 'INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT AND LOCATION IN LEEDS NORTH OF THE RIVER AIRE, 1775 TO 1914. M. F. Ward. Thesis submitted for the degree of Ph.D., Department of Geography, University of Leeds, September 1972' from which I have copied the following about the Perseverance site which I hope will be of interest. I was however unable to copy the text as a text file and so had to reproduce it in 3 sections as if it were photos. The first two sections comprise the Perseverance Ironworks part and the third section is about the Perseverance Mills.
Perseverance(1).jpg
Perseverance(1).jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
Preseverance(2).jpg
Preseverance(2).jpg (140.03 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
PerseveranceMills(1).jpg
PerseveranceMills(1).jpg (119.77 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
Last edited by Leodian on Mon 05 Feb, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Original post deleted.
Last edited by Leodian on Mon 05 Feb, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.