Few remains of once lots of industry on Kirkstall Road, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
volvojack

Re: Few remains of once lots of industry on Kirkstall Road, Leeds.

Post by volvojack »

Looking on Google for Possible Companies on Kirkstall Rd. 1854 I came across this " 1914 Who's who in W. Grace Guide to British Industrial industry. In there It lists under the "W*s Walker (Harry and Son, Leeds) Boot Manufacturer Cardigan Boot factory ltd, Kirkstall Road.It goes on to say that the Company was established 1865. So although it came up when i keyed in 1854.
Maybe the 1914 applies up to the Companies now. but looking at this Site is an eye opener even for me who remembers Factories, Mills Foundries and more since the 1940s.

As i am not good at searching for facts etc. on the Internet perhaps someone else could have a looks. Cheers.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The 1893 Leeds directory shows Harry Walker as, not numbered, but between Washington St and no 101. This must mean that it was the building in red on the c1890 map below

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

WALKER (HARRY) & SON (LEEDS), Ltd., Boot Manufacturers, Cardigan Boot Factory, Kirkstall Road, Leeds. Hours of Business: Office, 8.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established about 1865 by Harry Walker (d.). Afterwards styled Harry Walker & Son. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1896. Directors: John Wm. Walker (Managing Director), Thomas Collier. Premises: Works cover an area of 6,500 square yards, equipped with up-to-date machinery. Staff: 265. Stall Club: Sick Society. Specialities: Kip, Split, and Chrome Boots and Shoes, also Boot and Clog Uppers. Makers of the Nigger Ariwoker and Deputy Brand of Boots. Connection: United Kingdom, Colonial. Telephone: No. 928 Leeds. Telegraphic Address: " Walker, Leeds." Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited (Leeds).

The Article/piece i found ( I think it was on W Grace guide to British Industry) it mentioned that this Boot Co. was originally housed in a larger Factory on the same Site. That was a "Roman Cement Factory, not the like original i hasten to add, but as this Technique was patented in the late 1700s., more and more Firms began making it. There was a mention of a Pure Wool Spinners, who i believe went further North.
All this bits and bobs but with no names.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

There was an Interesting Legal Case Concerning Fairbairn Lawson, Combe Barbour the Leeds Engineering Works.
In 1939 a Polish Company placed an Order for a some Machinery with them and paid £1,000 Deposit on a £4,800 Total. Later that year Hitler Nazi Germany In alliance with the Soviet Union invaded Poland and the whole thing took just under Three weeks. Meanwhile as Hitler had broken his Promise,England and France then Declared War on Germany. As Fairbairn Lawsons decided that the Way thing were they could not in the best interests fulfill the order. This led to a Legal battle known as "The Fibrosa Case" in 1942.
See What You think in the Circumstances.