Seven Arches Aqueduct over Adel Beck, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Seven Arches Aqueduct over Adel Beck, Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

There are mentions in Secret Leeds threads about the Seven Arches Aqueduct over Adel Beck in north Leeds but, unless I missed it on a search, there does not seem to be a thread relating specifically to that aqueduct so I have started this. For much of the year it is hard to get good photographs of the aqueduct due to tree leaves and other plant growth covering a lot of the view. Now that the leaves have fallen and plants have died back some better views are seen. These are 3 photos I took on December 25 2017. The first is a view of the aqueduct looking across from the Adel side to the Alwoodley side and the second is an opposite direction view. The third is perhaps a less often seen view looking downstream where Adel Beck runs under the aqueduct (only part of the aqueduct is in this photo). I hope the photos are of interest.
7ArchesAqueductViewAdelToAlwoodleyNorthLeedsDec252017..jpg
7ArchesAqueductViewAdelToAlwoodleyNorthLeedsDec252017..jpg (186.27 KiB) Viewed 5234 times
7ArchesAqueductViewAlwoodleyToAdelNorthLeedsDec252017..jpg
7ArchesAqueductViewAlwoodleyToAdelNorthLeedsDec252017..jpg (187.19 KiB) Viewed 5234 times
AdelBeckDownstreamViewBeneathPartOf7ArchesAqueductNorthLeedsDec252017..jpg
AdelBeckDownstreamViewBeneathPartOf7ArchesAqueductNorthLeedsDec252017..jpg (184.31 KiB) Viewed 5234 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Loiner in Cyprus

Re: Seven Arches Aqueduct over Adel Beck, Leeds.

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Nice photos. Brings back memories. As a youngster in the early 50s a special day out for my brother and I with my mam and dad was to catch a bus to Meanwood then walk to the Seven Arches for a picnic. Then a weary walk back for the bus. The last time I visited, probably early 60s, there were no railings on the arches.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 2 photos that I took on February 5 2020. The first is a general view of the 7 Arches Aqueduct taken from the Alwoodley side of Adel Beck. The second shows a crack in the stone work that caught my eye. I don't know enough about the structural integrity of cracked stonework but I assume there is no cause for concern for now though perhaps there could be with the long term effects of freeze/thaw actions of water on the crack.
7ArchesAqueductScotlandWoodNorthLeedsFeb052020..jpg
7ArchesAqueductScotlandWoodNorthLeedsFeb052020..jpg (262.23 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
ACrackOnThe7ArchesAqueductScotlandWoodNorthLeedsFeb052020..jpg
ACrackOnThe7ArchesAqueductScotlandWoodNorthLeedsFeb052020..jpg (225.7 KiB) Viewed 3586 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Follow the course of the aquaduct across the farmland to the beck in Weetwood on the first Leeds OS map Leo and you will see there was a second aquaduct mate......

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Parksider :)

Thanks for your post as it reminded me that the aqueduct you mention (along with the 7 Arches Aqueduct) is referred to in an old 'The Blackmoor Tunnel' thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=759. In your post in that dated March 21 2014 11:26pm on page 10 you make the pertinent observation about the aqueduct you mention that “It's tough to find a single sign of the aquaduct, but I think the stone was robbed to build house(s) Foxhill??”.

Many links in that thread are now dead so I've added the link to a map titled 'Yorkshire 203. Surveyed 1847. Published 1851' in the National Library of Scotland website:- https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344914. The map shows the route of the 'Tunnel and Conduit of the Leeds Water Works' running from the Water Works Cottage at or close to where the Eccup Reservoir dam will be. It continues to an 'Aqueduct' that will be the 7 Arches and on by the 'Aqueduct' you mention that is near Weetwood Farm then continuing by an 'Arch' near Bateman Hill and then to the 'Weetwood Reservoir of the Leeds Water Works'.

It is a pity that as far as I’m aware there are no photos (at least publicly available) of the aqueduct you mention (I don’t know about the 'Arch').

Off topic I noticed on the map that it marks ‘Hell Hole’ to the left of Weetwood Farm. I wonder what ‘Hell Hole’ was?

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

One general source (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cCO ... od&f=false ) states that the term is used in many areas and is shown below
ScreenHunter 1440.jpg
ScreenHunter 1440.jpg (65.61 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Hi Leo

I'm struggling to reply to you here mate!!

This is a test to see if my efforts are working!!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote:
Wed 06 May, 2020 9:02 pm
Hi Parksider :)

Thanks for your post as it reminded me that the aqueduct you mention (along with the 7 Arches Aqueduct) is referred to in an old 'The Blackmoor Tunnel' thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=759. In your post in that dated March 21 2014 11:26pm on page 10 you make the pertinent observation about the aqueduct you mention that “It's tough to find a single sign of the aquaduct, but I think the stone was robbed to build house(s) Foxhill??”.

Many links in that thread are now dead so I've added the link to a map titled 'Yorkshire 203. Surveyed 1847. Published 1851' in the National Library of Scotland website:- https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344914. The map shows the route of the 'Tunnel and Conduit of the Leeds Water Works' running from the Water Works Cottage at or close to where the Eccup Reservoir dam will be. It continues to an 'Aqueduct' that will be the 7 Arches and on by the 'Aqueduct' you mention that is near Weetwood Farm then continuing by an 'Arch' near Bateman Hill and then to the 'Weetwood Reservoir of the Leeds Water Works'.

It is a pity that as far as I’m aware there are no photos (at least publicly available) of the aqueduct you mention (I don’t know about the 'Arch').

Off topic I noticed on the map that it marks ‘Hell Hole’ to the left of Weetwood Farm. I wonder what ‘Hell Hole’ was?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

My reply to you just repeated your post to me mate. Sorry

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I am trying again to do a quick reply to you - let's see if this works