Building being erected near Belgrave Street.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5866
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Building being erected near Belgrave Street.

Postby Leodian » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 9:14 pm

Apart from a structure on the top there has been little obvious recent change to the building. Some work has however very recently started at the car park by what remains of Hartley Hill at the old Public Dispensary, presumably in advance of some work at that building (long closed down as a dispensary). This photo was taken on December 7 2017 from across North Street and shows the new building on the left and the boarded-off dispensary car park on the right (the Inner Ring Road is out of view below and between the new and old buildings).
ViewAcrossNorthStLeedsDec072017..jpg
ViewAcrossNorthStLeedsDec072017..jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 233 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5866
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 9:41 pm

It is reported on page 3 of today's (Dec 13 2017) Yorkshire Evening Post that plans to demolish the vacant Symons House on Belgrave Street to make way for a 23-storey tall student flats building will be discussed by the Leeds City Council Plans Panel tomorrow. Assuming that permission is given then with the building work now going on that area will eventually look a lot different to what it did even fairly recently. The changes in appearance of the centre of Leeds in recent years is quite remarkable, with most of it in my opinion looking good.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
tyke bhoy
PostsCOLON 2133
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 4:48 am
LocationCOLON Leeds/Wakefield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby tyke bhoy » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 5:46 pm

Leodian wroteColon. The changes in appearance of the centre of Leeds in recent years is quite remarkable, with most of it in my opinion looking good.
I'm not sure this one will add to the good. Looking at
https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... 165872.pdf which is one of the 87 documents to be found at https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... KQ4JBFN100 I think it will look somewhat out of place. It will dwarf Fairfax House on Wade Lane and certainly dwarf the Santander building on Merrion Street. Ironically the reasons given for it not detracting from St John's Church are the light grey/brown bricks in the design are what I think (and Leeds Civic Trust have made the point already) make it look like a concrete monstrosity at distance. In my opinion that won't be helped by the "bays" structure which will look like they are formed by concrete beams.

On a separate but related note I believe there is also an application to convert the unfinished building at the top of Cookridge Street, that was meant to be the Arena Hilton, into student residences too. I think that plan includes adding an additional couple of floors to what is already up.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthouse

http://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Return to