Wind restricting baffles at Bridgewater Place, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jma

Re: Wind restricting baffles at Bridgewater Place, Leeds.

Post by jma »

By coincidence, I've been looking through today's Top 50 on Leodis and found this from 1965. Presumably, it's the same Mr Kelly

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hi jma,
I have never actually seen this photo before. just a few years after later than this the market was extended along Hope Street to Queen St. creating a Market Hall with shop etc. on both sides. Allen Kelly being a long time trader had his pick and and chose an area away from the main entrance which was on Queen St.There was an Health food shop,Frozen foods, Sweet shop and the Lazenby's also had a Fruit and Veg Stall on the corner. This was a vast improvement to the market. the rest remained the same on two sides parallel with Hope St. Down at the bottom of the market the area widened again and all types of Stalls / shops.
The Owners were Cryer and Stott, ( a couple of men from the Oldham area ) and the latter was a large bombastic man.
The extension greatly improved the whole Building and i would say that the customers,traders etc. benefited.
We had some happy, financial years from the place but one day some local Market Gardeners, The Lowther brothers who owned whole area of land around Morley and Tingley, growing Cabbage Rhubarb etc. came around and said Having bought a large Mill in Peel St. (next to Hope St.) and were looking for Traders to occupy it after a grand opening.
A. did not think Morley had enough trade to sustain two markets plus the cost of building a Unit, staffing and paying other expenses. B.In the season i would have growers from South Milford deliver Tomatoes, spring onions Cucumbers which had been picked and packed on the Wednesday morning and were fresh on my Stall Thursday Morn.
Still just now and then as Supermarkets were becoming more and more powerful i would catch a glimpse of some lady with a box of pre packed Tomatoes which were more than likely a week old or more.
Not long after Three Brothers from Leeds who were keen to make a mark in the Greengrocery business offered to buy me out, Having obtained nearly three times the price i accepted and went back Beeston a Happy man.

Sincere Apologies for Hi jacking this Thread but did not know any other way to reply to jma. plus the Picture.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

It looks like the baffles aren't working. Admittedly it was extreme conditions but I believe that Victoria Road/Bridge was closed to high-sided vehicles on both Wednesday and Thursday for several hours. I also believe that there was a full closure for a couple of hours on Wednesday. The diversion is the bottleneck that is Leeds Bridge. Well it is until Sunday. Leeds Bridge is closed to northbound traffic for up to 12 months for Bridge repairs after this weekend. You can read that as well over 12 months if the Vicar Lane, Clarendon Road and other road projects in and around Leeds City Centre are anything to go by.

Because of that most buses using Leeds Bridge and Lower Briggate are being diverted furhter along Great Wilson Street and up Crown Point Road. This is a route that regularly becomes gridlocked anyway but it will be added to by high sided vehicles or in extreme conditions all traffic when the wind gets up :cry:
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

Reap what yee shall sow springs to mind
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"tilly"]Reap what ye shall sow springs to mind

I am Baffled anyway, don't these expert designers and planners involved in the construction of multi million pound buildings check for any problem like this might that may occur ?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack not when money rears its ugly head.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I was by the Bridgewater Place around 12:00 a.m. today (June 14 2018) and despite the very strong wind there seemed to be no traffic restrictions. I assume therefore that the wind restricting baffles were assumed to be doing their job despite the fact that it was hard to stand up!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.