Wind restricting baffles at Bridgewater Place, Leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tilly

Re: Wind restricting baffles at Bridgewater Place, Leeds.

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack Did you visit the revamp of the bottom part of the market.? Its not the market we grew up with, butchers row is a mess at the moment with most of the shops closed i dont know what they have in mind but the sooner they get on with it the better.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi volvojack Did you visit the revamp of the bottom part of the market.? Its not the market we grew up with, butchers row is a mess at the moment with most of the shops closed i dont know what they have in mind but the sooner they get on with it the better.

No Pal,
Never left the car as i was on my way to the lads garage off Kirkstall Rd who have serviced my motors for 40 years, P. and R. Cars.
I dropped it off and borrowed one of theirs as usual. then up to Crossgates to visit Relatives. I think i was still in Shock from driving through these faceless row after row of Office Blocks but will go in there next time. I could ramble on about the wonderful / various things that i have done in Kirkgate Market in years gone by, but do not think it will ever be the same.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Its not been the same since the big fire to me the top half is the best part the other to me is a mess.I remember going there on Christmas Eve with my mother when all the fruit and game was going at a lower price to get rid of it .No cold storage in thoughs days so it had to be sold off or it would go to waist happy days.We used to go around the back of the fruit stalls when we were kids looking for scabby apples we would eat any thing we could get our hands no need for that nowadays. :D :D
Last edited by tilly on Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Its not been the same since the big fire to me the top half is the best part the other to me is a mess.I remember going there on Christmas Eve with my mother when all the fruit and game was going at a lower price to get rid of it .No cold storage in thoughs days so it had to be sold off or it would go to waist happy days.We used to go around the back of the fruit stalls when we were kids looking for scabby apples we would eat any thing we could get our hands on need for that nowadays.

The Fire was on the Saturday 13th. December ( my Birthday ) and at that time i had a Fruit and Veg. Business in Morley Market. I was driving down Wide Lane heading home Beeston and saw this huge plume of smoke rising from Leeds, did not know at that time what it was. This would be around 6. 7.pm. Given chance i could gabble on and on about days and days i spent in Kirkgate Market from over 70 years ago The Fire happened i would think about 1980.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Longer than you think Jack!

1975 so it will be 42 years this year
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"dogduke"Longer than you think Jack!

1975 so it will be 42 years this year.

Oops. When you are my age you might try and juggle with Dates on your Birthday.

Compliments of the Season to you and yours, plus any other Member looking in. Secret Leeds has given me so much pleasure during the few years since i joined.

jim

Post by jim »

volvojack wrote:Compliments of the Season to you and yours, plus any other Member looking in. Secret Leeds has given me so much pleasure during the few years since i joined.
Nicely put Same to all from me.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jim"]["volvojack"]Compliments of the Season to you and yours, plus any other Member looking in. Secret Leeds has given me so much pleasure during the few years since i joined.

Nicely put Same to all from me.

Yes jim but it's my Birthday next week so if i drop a few subtle hints who knows maybe the kind, generous Members will take a collection ( notes only) and send it onto me.

jma

Post by jma »

volvojack wrote:... at that time i had a Fruit and Veg. Business in Morley Market. ....
Did you know somebody with a similar business there called Alan Kelly? I knew him fairly well because my wife knows his wife. Unfortunately, he died last year. A great guy who in retirement raised quite a bit for charity through sponsored bike rides, even though his ticker was getting dodgy.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Sorry to hear that,
Yes I knew Alan very well as his business was on the opposite corner, although we did not mix socially Alan and I never had a Wrong word. He was a really quiet,well respected pleasant fellow. He also had a lad who worked for him Kevin for some years who would have been in his early 20s.
Alan's Wife may remember my Business as belonging to the Lazenby's as it had belonged to the Father and then the Son before i bought it.

Happy Days for me both financially and socially.