Numbers on just a few gravestones at Leeds Minster.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Numbers on just a few gravestones at Leeds Minster.

Post by Leodian »

There are very many gravestones at Leeds Minster that are used in the pathways. When walking at Leeds Minster on August 1 2017 I happened to notice a gravestone near the Church Row end that had a number 22 carved on it but no other wording. Wondering if there were other numbered gravestones I went back on August 3 and had a longer look around. I cannot say I definitely saw all of the gravestones around the Minster but I certainly looked at very many. In all I saw the following numbers:- 3, 12, 22, 29, 30, 31, 32, 37 and 42 (they were not in position order as 29 was next to 37 for example).

I wonder if anyone knows why some (but clearly very few) are numbered? I did not look so I don't know if there are some numbered gravestones lining the railway embankment opposite the Minster and on the embankment by York Street opposite the bus station.

I have added photos showing three of the numbered gravestones. The wording on the top of number 3 is "Here lieth interred the body of William Smith, who died Sep 27 1784 aged 67 years. Also his 3 wives & 12 children" (the Sep may read Sept and the 27 may read 27th but it was very hard to decipher).
Number3LeedsMinsterAug032017..jpg
Number3LeedsMinsterAug032017..jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
Number22LeedsMinsterAug012017..jpg
Number22LeedsMinsterAug012017..jpg (126.8 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
Number30LeedsMinsterAug032017..jpg
Number30LeedsMinsterAug032017..jpg (131.37 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Re: Numbers on just a few gravestones at Leeds Minster.

Post by warringtonrhino »

In some graveyards the plots are numbered and the plot number was often carved onto the back or side of the headstone or on the face of a flat or flush stone. When the graves were moved the numbers could have been placed out of numerical order? Just a theory?

jma

Post by jma »

We live and learn. I hadn't realised before that the Parish Church had become the Minster. (I did know that the Ripon Diocese had been reorganised, but not this aspect.)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]We live and learn. I hadn't realised before that the Parish Church had become the Minster. (I did know that the Ripon Diocese had been reorganised, but not this aspect.

I have heard it referred to on Secret Leeds as the Minster but to me it will always be the Leeds Parish Church.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The relocation of these gravestones to the railway embankment and paths form the original burial ground has been covered in a few previous threads but most memorably in jims thread " Silent as the Grave". http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=6184

It contains an extract from a book, posted by Uncle Mick, detailing the concessions made by the railway company to get permission to route it through the graveyard. This is a some of the text:

The line was extended ( 1865-69) "via an embankment , specifically designed not to disturb the graves , through St Peter's church burial ground to Marsh Lane. To satisfy ecclesiastical susceptibilities the 1865 authorisation act provided for the laying of rails on "India Rubber"; for the use of semaphore signals instead of whistling , to minimise sacrilegious noise; and for replacing the gravestones on the slopes of the embankment. "

What similar promises are HS2 making 150 years later, I wonder?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!