Old doorway on Merrion Place at the rear of what used to be the Chest Clinic.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Old doorway on Merrion Place at the rear of what used to be the Chest Clinic.

Post by Leodian »

This fascinating old doorway caught my eye when I was walking along Merrion Place on July 4 2017. The doorway is at the rear of what used to be the Chest Clinic (now Richer Sounds). It did not seem like it is in use and it is definitely not readily accessible for anyone with mobility difficulty! The very deep steps and the ventilation (?) grid are interesting features. Merrion Place is quite steep, as can be seen by the bricks at the blocked-up cellar (?). I wonder if Merrion Place was once level (or almost so) but was raised and became steep at some stage? I wonder if anyone recalls using this rear door? I was unable to definitely read what the door number is but some old maps I saw were confusing as to whether it is 18 Merrion Place or 81 on the Chest Clinic block. I will have walked on Merrion Place many times but I don't recall ever really noticing this doorway before.
OldDoorwayMerrionPlaceRearOldChestClinicLeedsJuly042017..jpg
OldDoorwayMerrionPlaceRearOldChestClinicLeedsJuly042017..jpg (139.05 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Re: Old doorway on Merrion Place at the rear of what used to be the Chest Clinic.

Post by warringtonrhino »

Comparing the 1904 Leodis photo with the 2016 google photo it appears that the pavement is slightly higher.
In 1904 more of the windows uphill from the door are visible, and the door clearly went down to the pavement.
Leodis refer to the building as the Dispensary.
Attachments
Merrion Place May 2016.jpg
Merrion Place May 2016.jpg (146.29 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
merrion Place June 1904.jpg
merrion Place June 1904.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

LS1

Re: Old doorway on Merrion Place at the rear of what used to be the Chest Clinic.

Post by LS1 »

The extra windows you see on the black and white pic at the far (Vicar Lane) end were removed when the west wing was partially demolished some time in the 1900s for road widening. It's likely that's why there are changes in the ground level.

The latter two windows were removed leaving (on the north side) just one on the west side and the corner was rounded off leaving it looking quite uneven!

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

These Leodis photos illustrate LS1's comment. The 1907 building has a larger north facade than the 1911 building.
The 3 window bays above the 1907 pedestrian have been removed and the entire facade remodeled with curved corners.
A no doubt a very expensive project?
Attachments
dispensary june 1907.jpg
dispensary june 1907.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
dispensary aug 1911.jpg
dispensary aug 1911.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks warringtonrhino and LS1 for your help which is appreciated :).

In view of LS1's note about the demolition work it reminded me of something that I noticed on my visit on July 4 2017 but which I did not give any thought to then, namely that there seemed to be some differing brickwork on the old Chest Clinic at its Vicar Lane/Merrion Place end. Knowing I would be in the centre of Leeds today (July 6 2017) I went to have another look and I took these 2 photos.

The first photo shows what seems to be differing brickwork. I don't know if it has anything to do with the old work or work since then.

The second is a view up Merrion Place that also shows the Vicar Lane frontage of what was the clinic but is now Richer Sounds. That photo also reminded me of a Secret Leeds thread that I cannot now find in which I wondered if anyone knew anything relating to the missing features on the roof (compare for example the 1907 and 1911 photos in Leodis in warringtonrhino's post to see they were there then).
OldChestClinicMerrionPlaceLeedsDifferingBricksJuly062017..jpg
OldChestClinicMerrionPlaceLeedsDifferingBricksJuly062017..jpg (138.27 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
MerrionPlaceFromVicarLaneLeedsOldChestClinicOnRightJuly062017..jpg
MerrionPlaceFromVicarLaneLeedsOldChestClinicOnRightJuly062017..jpg (121.08 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.