YEP retro photos for 1996 published 29.4.17

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Bruno

Re: YEP retro photos for 1996 published 29.4.17

Post by Bruno »

Thanks everyone. Does this mean that the "Great Northern Station" referred to in this Leodis picture is actually Central Station?

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

The older I get, the better I was.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The far wall on the bottom of Leodian's pictures is consistent with it being the interior of the "Power Station" which appears in Chemimike's 70's snap with the 4 chimney's but does not really conform with the shape of the Power station on Chemimike's map. I would contend that the shape of the building is more consistent with the EI Sub-Station in the same map. However that doesn't fit either as there is clearly a gap btween the two buildings on the map and yet there is clearly a massive dividing wall to the right of Leo's picture. I therefore suspect the dividing wall is perhaps an internal divider in the Power Station which extends much more to the right with a different frontage.

If we take the bottom of Leodian's pictures to be the interior of the building with 4 large chimneys then look at the top image. In that top image there does appear to still be part of the near wall of that building visible pretty much in the middle of the image and it is behind the wall with the arches with a gap (passageway) between the two. Furthermore the arches at the end of the top image are too similar to those down the side not to be the same building. I therefore think this is the interior of a building and the one with the zig-zag roofs in Chemimike's image. What I now still aren't claer about is was this the Sub-station or the Soap Factory.

Buffaloskinner's image might suggest Sub-station and it is diffciult to scale it due to lack of human presence, however I think the arches in that image are too big to be the smaller, paired, arches and too small to be the larger, encompassing, arches on the right of Leodians top image.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

[quote="Bruno"]Thanks everyone. Does this mean that the "Great Northern Station" referred to in this Leodis picture is actually Central Station?/quote]

Correct Bruno. The station was built in the 1850s by a consortium of four companies, which eventually became the GNR, L&NWR, NER, and L&Y. Due to various circumstances the station was eventually used principally by the GNR, with a fair presence from the L&Y (trains to Manchester via Halifax). I think the L&NWR used it once a year to keep their right of access. but used the approach tracks frequently to reach their high level goods facilities, and the wagon hoists to reach their low level yard and sidings.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for the info Jim hope you are keeping well.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Thanks Jim!
The older I get, the better I was.

jim

Post by jim »

I'm fine Tilly. Trust your health is now on an even keel.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Yes Jim been laying 3by2 flags in my garden so that shows things are going ok.Thanks for asking glad to hear you are keeping well.Back to the thread.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.