A neglected feature in Leeds Kirkgate Market at the George Street end.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

A neglected feature in Leeds Kirkgate Market at the George Street end.

Post by Leodian »

I have noticed for a long while these nice but seemingly neglected features just inside the George Street end of Leeds Kirkgate Market (what seems now to be the name of Leeds City Markets). I wonder if anyone knows any history of the features? It looks as if there is space for something to have been placed on both, but if there ever was they have probably long gone. There is also the shape of something that was between the two features, but whatever that was it has gone. That cannot however be the plaque that I started a thread about on November 1 2012 as that plaque is too large (it is still there and still awkward to get a good photo from street level). This is the link to that thread:- http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4478

These are 3 of the photos of the features that I took today (Feb 7 2017):-
LeedsKirkgateMarketGeorgeStEndFeb072017..jpg
LeedsKirkgateMarketGeorgeStEndFeb072017..jpg (106.77 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
CloseUpOfFeatureAtLeedsKirkgateMarketGeorgeStEndFeb072017..jpg
CloseUpOfFeatureAtLeedsKirkgateMarketGeorgeStEndFeb072017..jpg (95.13 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
CloseUpOfAFeatureAtleedsKirkgateMarketGeorgeStEndFeb072017..jpg
CloseUpOfAFeatureAtleedsKirkgateMarketGeorgeStEndFeb072017..jpg (92.63 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Re: A neglected feature in Leeds Kirkgate Market at the George Street end.

Post by blackprince »

The stone niches were probably for statues ( long gone or never installed?).
The smaller outline between them could have been a drinking fountain. Just a guess.
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

blackprince wrote:The stone niches were probably for statues ( long gone or never installed?).
The smaller outline between them could have been a drinking fountain. Just a guess.
BP
Thanks blackprince :). That it might have been a drinking fountain seems a good possibility.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I can see the remnants of a hole through which the water could have got into the fountain,
is there evidence of a drain in the floor?

jma

Post by jma »

I wondered about the possibility of these being the places where commemorative plaques of some sort were once displayed. The fact that they are similar but not matching could be because they were made at different times. The outline of the one that's been removed is broadly similar to the two that survive. I imagine something a bit like the plates with winners' names installed on a trophy but commemorating something like the aldermen responsible for different phases of the market's development.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I would go with the fountain if you look at the bottom part there are four holes that have been filled in this could be were a cast iron or marble bowl was fitted.Just a thought.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly"]I would go with the fountain if you look at the bottom part there are four holes that have been filled in this could be were a cast iron or marble bowl was fitted.Just a thought.

Tilly.
Having had another look at the picture i think you have got it spot on.
I took a Saturday job in there about 1952 it is a shame i never saw it and sadly all the lads i worked for will have passed on.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack I have got it in my mind that i remember it being there i am seventy five years old.I would love to know when it was taken down to see if it was there in my lifetime has you get older your mind can play tricks on you i dont think it was working.Just waiting for the men in white coats to call for me.Ha.Ha.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:I can see the remnants of a hole through which the water could have got into the fountain,
is there evidence of a drain in the floor?
Hi warringtonrhino :).

I had a look today (Feb 9 2017) but there did not seem to be any sign of a drain on the floor. That does of course not mean that there never was one, as it could be completely covered over.

Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this thread :).