BFI- John Betjeman film of Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: BFI- John Betjeman film of Leeds

Post by Leodian »

It's interesting dogduke that you should mention the Queens Hotel as that has a clock on its City Square frontage but it is not a readily noticeable clock. For some reason I had thought it was not working but I've checked several times in the last couple of weeks or so and it is working. It does at least need a good clean.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Most Leeds buildings were soot black until some considerable time after the 1950s Clean Air Act. Since that time, many buildings have been thoroughly cleaned, and the rest have benefitted from the major reduction in "dirty fuel" use and the effects of weathering.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi volvojack i am with you all the way some of the new builds to me look a right mess.But then when money rears its ugly head any thing goes.

I seem to remember they demolished a building in Park Row, more or less opp. the end of Kng St. and built an ugly replacement, possibly before and worse than the Norwich Union building. ( Think this was also Insurance) maybe someone could confirm this

Though my memory does play tricks on me these days,

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi volvojack i am with you all the way some of the new builds to me look a right mess.But then when money rears its ugly head any thing goes.

I seem to remember they demolished a building in Park Row, more or less opp. the end of Kng St. and built an ugly replacement, possibly before and worse than the Norwich Union building. ( Think this was also Insurance) maybe someone could confirm this

Though my memory does play tricks on me these days,

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Are you talking about the Nat West building on the opposite side of Park Row to the Norwich Union BuildingImage Image from Leodis http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 925_175585

It matched the grey concrete of the overhead walkway which was attached. It is now replaced by 1 Park Row. The next building up, recently vacated by Lloyds is currently under refurbishment and is brown polished stone (marble?)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tyke bhoy wrote:Are you talking about the Nat West building on the opposite side of Park Row to the Norwich Union BuildingImage Image from Leodis http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 925_175585

It matched the grey concrete of the overhead walkway which was attached. It is now replaced by 1 Park Row. The next building up, recently vacated by Lloyds is currently under refurbishment and is brown polished stone (marble?)
I one i remember was higher up Park Row in the middle of buildings rather than on the end.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Before they demolishedl and then built the Norwich Union in City Square the late night buses would run from there to all parts of Leeds on a Saturday night. I think they did not arrive and then depart until about 12.30 am and so there would be 100s and 100s of mainly young people queuing along Infirmary St. and by the Post Office. Though most would have had a drink there never seemed to be any trouble,in fact quite a few romances blossomed during the hour or so wait for the ride home. You could also buy the Sunday newspaper "The Reynolds News" from a man who walked up and down, the kudos there was not only having a Sunday paper on a Sat night but it had the all the football scores from around the country.

jma

Post by jma »

Having used the night bus service several times to get home as a teenager to Bramley, I remember the fares were double the daytime equivalent. Only main routes were covered, so for us it was the 14 on Stanningley Road and then a walk, rather than the 54 on Bramley Town Street passing the end of our street but an excellent service nevertheless. :D

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]Having used the night bus service several times to get home as a teenager to Bramley, I remember the fares were double the daytime equivalent. Only main routes were covered, so for us it was the 14 on Stanningley Road and then a walk, rather than the 54 on Bramley Town Street passing the end of our street but an excellent service nevertheless.

Like wise,
I lived in Beeston but there was no service to there,the Bus went up Dewsbury Road and then , i think, on to Middleton.i do remember that this service had a couple of Buses and it was a real scramble to get on.
In those days a Bus Conductors word was law and in any way his words were not heeded then his threat to " I'll get the Driver" was usually enough.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

jma wrote:Having used the night bus service several times to get home as a teenager to Bramley, I remember the fares were double the daytime equivalent. Only main routes were covered, so for us it was the 14 on Stanningley Road and then a walk, rather than the 54 on Bramley Town Street passing the end of our street but an excellent service nevertheless. :D
Around the time when the late night buses ran I was on shifts in York
Finishing 2 to 10 shift in York I didn't have a suitable train to get back to Leeds until nearly midnight.
I applied for pass from LCT ? which allowed me to pay the daytime fare.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.