BFI- John Betjeman film of Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
volvojack

Re: BFI- John Betjeman film of Leeds

Post by volvojack »

dogduke wrote:
jma wrote:Having used the night bus service several times to get home as a teenager to Bramley, I remember the fares were double the daytime equivalent. Only main routes were covered, so for us it was the 14 on Stanningley Road and then a walk, rather than the 54 on Bramley Town Street passing the end of our street but an excellent service nevertheless. :D
Around the time when the late night buses ran I was on shifts in York
Finishing 2 to 10 shift in York I didn't have a suitable train to get back to Leeds until nearly midnight.
I applied for pass from LCT ? which allowed me to pay the daytime fare.
No jumping into a Taxi then.like they do nowadays
Did that service operate every night? as we only ever really went into the town centre on a Saturday night in those days.

jma

Post by jma »

"Three on the bell" to stop the bus, slowly just to stop, quickly for an emergency stop.

I'd have to say that not all Leeds City Transport crews had the same awareness of customer service that is normal today. In my student days, having caught the 72 in the middle of Bradford, the conductor stopped the bus in Stanningley and accused me of passing him four Channel Islands pennies. (Possibly Jersey, but I'm not sure.) I could imagine one by mistake but four would have to be deliberate. No choice but to pay up. That was mid-afternoon, BTW. When I recounted the story the following day, I had no problem getting somebody to have them as collectors' items. They are not exactly foreign coins.

A couple of years later, I was working nights at Dewsbury Road and a bus to Miggy pulled up outside the nick with a long blast on the horn. Junior man so off I went across the road, trying to look bigger than my full 5'8". The bus was packed with people on their way home from pubs etc., in town and the conductor announced that there were two upstairs at the front, refusing to pay and the bus would not be moving till they were both off. The front of the upper deck of a rear entry double decker isn't the place to practice martial arts but up I went, expecting at any moment to be under kicking feet. Nothing like that and when I reached the "miscreants" they were two young lads, ten to twelve years possibly. Anyway, off the bus they came, very meek and mild as you might expect and the obvious answer was a lift home. Into my shiny new panda car (no Z Cars tune, unfortunately ) and straight to Miggy. Their mum was furious as she had always drummed into them that if ever they were stuck without their fare, they should give their name and address. They'd been on some sort of trip and ended up back in Leeds without their fare, mum had been worried etc. More to the point, she knew the procedure about names and addresses and also that bus crews should not leave children stranded. I think she was either a union official or employed at Leeds City Transport. Either way, she was not best pleased. (If I've recounted this tale on here before, sorry.)

Re the night buses, I can't be sure if it was every night but I think it was. My memory is of one bus an hour, on perhaps half-a-dozen main routes. Definitely double fares. :shock:

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

jma wrote:"Three on the bell" to stop the bus, slowly just to stop, quickly for an emergency stop.

Re the night buses, I can't be sure if it was every night but I think it was. My memory is of one bus an hour, on perhaps half-a-dozen main routes. Definitely double fares. :shock:
I also used to catch the late night bus to Bramley from the stop right outside the Queen's Hotel. I remember it being hourly and not just at weekends. On one occasion I got chatting to another lad about my own age and he said that a police van would comb city square picking up drunks and vagrants during the night and on a previous occasion he had been thrown in the back too. Anyway, a few weeks later I was waiting at the bus stop outside the Queens about 1am when the black police van appeared and stopped right in front of me. I was asked what I was doing and my answer "waiting for a bus" was plainly not believed. Fortunately I was able to prove to the constable that the late night bus service did exist by pointing to the timetable attached to the bus stop. If I hadn't been reasonably sober with my wits about me I might have ended up in the van too. As the van proceeded around the square I saw various dark shapes rounded up and loaded into the back. Until that point I had no idea that so many people were sleeping rough and thought I had city square to myself. The brightly lit bus was a welcome sight when it turned up.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jma

Post by jma »

That's a scoop the Yorkshire Evening Post missed:

POLICE WANT TO KNOW WHAT BLACK PRINCE IS DOING IN CITY SQUARE. ;)

And you were too modest to mention your starring role in Betjeman's film.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Another ugly structure was the Manny Cussins building on the corner of Mill Hill and Boar Lane, what was it about City Square that attracted the developers so much. What was so nice up to the 1950s has been ruined, the Square has lost its class.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]That's a scoop the Yorkshire Evening Post missed:

POLICE WANT TO KNOW WHAT BLACK PRINCE IS DOING IN CITY SQUARE

If you had eight naked nymphs around you wouldn't you be there ??

you were too modest to mention your starring role in Betjeman's film

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:
jma wrote:That's a scoop the Yorkshire Evening Post missed:

POLICE WANT TO KNOW WHAT BLACK PRINCE IS DOING IN CITY SQUARE

If you had eight naked nymphs around you wouldn't you be there ??

you were too modest to mention your starring role in Betjeman's film
Yes, jma and volvojack, it comes to something when a guy can't get off his horse to stretch his legs, have a fag, and chat up the nymphs in the middle of the night without being pulled over on suspicion.

I didn't mention my role in the film because my lawyers are still fighting to get my appearance fees. So its sub-judice.
Cheers,
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Black Prince.
So that's where you are pointing, not down South but to your room on the fifth floor of the Queens Hotel, Do all the girls have their own key ?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:Black Prince.
So that's where you are pointing, not down South but to your room on the fifth floor of the Queens Hotel, Do all the girls have their own key ?
To quote Francis Urqhart " "You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment" :)