Leeds Industrial History

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
harrym1byt

Re: Leeds Industrial History

Post by harrym1byt »

I have Googled the area and yes I think it was on Aire Street, roughly where the 'White Cloth Gallery' is shown on Google maps, to the south side of Aire Street. It was called Whitehall Power Station or Generating Station. It had large doors where it fronted Aire Street, which were often open and you could see the generators spinning away in there.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Is this it ???
http://maps.nls.uk/view/125642449#zoom= ... &layers=BT

NB You can scroll & zoom in & out on the map

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote:Is this it ???
http://maps.nls.uk/view/125642449#zoom= ... &layers=BT

NB You can scroll & zoom in & out on the map
Thanks uncle mick for the link to that highly informative map on which the detail is superb :).

One thing in particular that it shows was the very extensive network of railway tracks then (the map is stated to be revised 1906). I also like the Goods Sheds for the N.E.R, G.N.R and the L.& N.W. & L. & Y. R. which are all separate from the Central Station. The L. & Y.R. seems new to me so I wonder if it stood for Leeds & York(shire) Railway?

Assuming that it was there then I'm unsure where the now preserved old Lifting Tower is on the map. I wonder if it is at the building on the left of the L. & N.W. & L. & Y.R. Goods Shed and a little right of the interesting 'Cattle Pens'?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

L&Y.R = Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

harrym1byt wrote:I have Googled the area and yes I think it was on Aire Street, roughly where the 'White Cloth Gallery' is shown on Google maps, to the south side of Aire Street. It was called Whitehall Power Station or Generating Station. It had large doors where it fronted Aire Street, which were often open and you could see the generators spinning away in there.
I was WRONG! The map clearly shows it where Aire Street becomes Whitehall Road.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Yes it was Whitehall Road Power station.
Originally built by a company caleed Yorkshire House to House Electric Co,
Here is a picture of some of the early steam engines used to drive the generators and more information about them.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/751977
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!