Lost Eating Establishments of Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Phill_d wrote: We used to go all over, Mill hill amusements, All the cafes, any where that wasn't school really. No can't say i used to go to Brannigans.. I think we did all our silly posing stuff in the Seacroft 'youthy' disco thingy yeah,i knew a few lads at the civic..dave telford and the madness crew.we used to go in las vegas too,until it beacame gambling only.an old perve once propositioned me in there...then wished he had not,as he picked his broken tushy pegs out of his foul mouth...dirty old git.is hopkins shop still there...can you still get stay pressed kegs??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

pid

Post by pid »

risking a slapped wrist for going off topic but you mean hopkins on merrion street ? used to get my stay pressed there and there was always the old lady sitting by the calor gas fire behind the counter mumbling into her tea . think its mojo bar now or maybe reform . one o them anyway wiggy

slw

Post by slw »

rangieowner wrote: slw wrote: simonm wrote: I used to love the wimpy grill meals.. That curly sausage wrapped round the burgers!! Lovely! I don't know whether anybody can remember the Burger Time which used to be on Boar Lane or a chain for Burger bars called Burger Ranch. don't you mean ranchburger? it was on albion street at the junction with the headrow? That's the one

stevief

Post by stevief »

There was a coffee bar on Eastgate,roughly opposite Argos,called Number 18.It made the E.P. when they objected to the new bus shelters which,they claimed,completely obscured their sign.

Sloaney

Post by Sloaney »

Ah, Belushi's! Breakfast pizza and blueberry pie. I went to visit a pal in his first year at uni and that's what made me choose Leeds. Is Naffees still there?Tariq's? And there was a mad pub on Otley Road that sold about a hundred types of sausage. Haven't been to ol' Leeds for years...too many stories about that fantastic city!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Sloaney wrote: Ah, Belushi's! Breakfast pizza and blueberry pie. I went to visit a pal in his first year at uni and that's what made me choose Leeds. Is Naffees still there?Tariq's? And there was a mad pub on Otley Road that sold about a hundred types of sausage. Haven't been to ol' Leeds for years...too many stories about that fantastic city! Nice to have you onboard Sloaney
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

shutthatdoor

Post by shutthatdoor »

I used to take the kids to Number 18 for a treat. Oh happy Nappy days.Very friendly staff, kids always looked forward to a treat there.My parents used to meet there when courting although I can't recall what they said it was called then!
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

kango

Post by kango »

Sloaney wrote: Ah, Belushi's! Breakfast pizza and blueberry pie. I went to visit a pal in his first year at uni and that's what made me choose Leeds. Is Naffees still there?Tariq's? And there was a mad pub on Otley Road that sold about a hundred types of sausage. Haven't been to ol' Leeds for years...too many stories about that fantastic city! Ahhh Nafees, keema madras and five chapatis happy days.It's still here I think, the image is from 2008 though.http://goo.gl/maps/gxrBj    

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Lost eating establishments? You could fill a book with them. Does anyone remember Fat Freddy's cafe that used to be on The Calls just up from The New Penny pub? I seem to recall it being painted bright pink and it might have had a painting of 'Fat Freddy' from the cult 'Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers' comics I think they've been mentioned on here before but there used to be a couple of large fish and chip restaraunts in Leeds city centre, I think one might have been called Youngman's or something and it was in the building upstairs next to Debenhams. I remember going for fish and chips there as a kid with my mum and sister and they did a kids fish and chip meal where you also got a jelly and cream-like stuff for afters! I seem to remember the place being quite canteen like, I cant remember the other similar place that was posher, unless I'm thinking of Nash's which is still going. In the 90s my favorite restaraunt in Leeds was Al Bacio's on Eastgate which was a lovely Italian place run by an elderley Italian gent and his missus they were real characters and he was always plying us with free liquers and other Italian alcoholic beverages. I seem to remember his son was a chef there too. The decor of the place was delightfully kitsch, the food was always good and very affordable for a city centre restaraunt. I used to always have their seafood starter and I'd choose various pizza and pasta dishes all washed down with copious amounts of Peroni lager. Their pizzas were so nice I've never been able to order those stodgy horrible so-called 'pizzas' that people get delivered to their homes from 'pizza takeaways. The ones from Al Bacio were made with thin freshly made dough crusts and the toppings were fresh and tasty.The kitchen at Al Bacio's was located on the ground floor behind a coloured glass screen and sometimes you would see the chef doing that dough spinning thing. They also had a large fish tank with large coloured fish lazily swimming round watching the diners. Sadly the place closed down about 10 years ago or so, I'd heard they were meant to be re-opening in Armley somewhere.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

edlong

Post by edlong »

jonleeds wrote: ... I think they've been mentioned on here before but there used to be a couple of large fish and chip restaraunts in Leeds city centre, I think one might have been called Youngman's or something and it was in the building upstairs next to Debenhams. I remember going for fish and chips there as a kid with my mum and sister and they did a kids fish and chip meal where you also got a jelly and cream-like stuff for afters! I seem to remember the place being quite canteen like... I remember that one off Briggate, not sure if it was King Edward's Street (opposite Debenhams) - I thought it might have been Queen Victoria Street (the now glazed over street in the middle of the Victoria Quarter) - i.e. one street further up from Debenhams?I remember the canteen system vaguely, was there some sort of conveyor belt system involved? And a somewhat "iffy" seeming lift. I seem to recall pictures of the place over the years on the walls, it had obviously been a very, very long established business.