Lost Eating Establishments of Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
stevief

Post by stevief »

The late lamented St Annes was a popular eaterie.Originally a Cavalier Steak Bar,over the years it was transformed into the Boston Diner,Baltimore Diner and finally Boston Exchange.Decentgrub mostly.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

"Good idea for a thread tho. I remember the well dodgy Klondike all night cafe (sure it was all night anyway) on New York street in the early 80's. We'd go in that place or the cafe on the corner opposite the Scotsman for the Defender & space invader machines. I can just hear i am a 1 in 10 by UB40 as i type. The good old days Just another recollection. Do you remember the orange juice in the see through thingy with fake oranges bobbing around in it? "Phil you once again you strike again, you seem to cut a swaithe through my middle age with recollections of my younger years that a number of very strong bitters (chuff me that sam smiths is strong) seem to have robbed me of my memories and sensesHowever i am glad that any thoughts of that Sh**** band UB** have been removed from my memory banks by that strong stuff.All i can remamber is going in the klondike at about 2am after Scrumpies had shut (with my ears buzzing from the volume)and listening to the boys are back in town by Thin Lizzy whilst eating a chip butty,where could you get fed at that time of night in those days?.24 hour city or what???
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Priestly House

Post by Priestly House »

Terry's was ace for early mornin munchies after gigs at the Uni or Poly....and also to "replenish supplies"

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Bottom of King Edward Street, turning off Vicar Lane was a treat at the time when my friend's mum would take he and I into town during the school holidays (very young school days!) to visit the Wimpey bar. Wimpey was a shilling and a cheeseburger was 1/3d - was this the first one in Leeds? (and for those who don't do old money, a shilling translates to 5p !)

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

chameleon wrote: Bottom of King Edward Street, turning off Vicar Lane was a treat at the time when my friend's mum would take he and I into town during the school holidays (very young school days!) to visit the Wimpey bar. Wimpey was a shilling and a cheeseburger was 1/3d - was this the first one in Leeds? (and for those who don't do old money, a shilling translates to 5p !) I remember that Wimpey - sometimes me and ny dad used to eat there before catching the bus to Elland Road. - there was also one on the Headrow opposite the Odeon that was on 2 levels - ground floor and basement.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

stevief

Post by stevief »

drapesy wrote: chameleon wrote: Bottom of King Edward Street, turning off Vicar Lane was a treat at the time when my friend's mum would take he and I into town during the school holidays (very young school days!) to visit the Wimpey bar. Wimpey was a shilling and a cheeseburger was 1/3d - was this the first one in Leeds? (and for those who don't do old money, a shilling translates to 5p !) I remember that Wimpey - sometimes me and ny dad used to eat there before catching the bus to Elland Road. - there was also one on the Headrow opposite the Odeon that was on 2 levels - ground floor and basement. I can remember a Wimpy in the Merrion Centre.Burger bars seemed rareties 'inland' but always plentiful at the seaside.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I used to love the wimpy grill meals.. That curly sausage wrapped round the burgers!! Lovely!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

Brandy wrote: anyone remember Terry's all night cafe?? as i recall it was on wellington street somewhere near the salvation army.also there were that cafe upstairs near the corn exchange that had confederate flags painted all over, i think it went by the name"the pool cafe". Terry's Cafe on Wellington St was the cellar of what is now Mio Mondo restaurant, it is now an up market gents Hairdressers,he also had a cafe just passed The Coburg on Woodhouse Lanejimbo

simonm

Post by simonm »

Terry's cafe was where the Royal Bank of Scotlan building is now. opposite the hotel next to YEP buildings!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

as a frequenter of Coffe Bars of the 1960's how about 'El Toro',you went down some steps in an old building approximatly where the 'Birdcage' is now, or 'The American Bar' ( another cellar ) it was located on that building site opposite The West Riding near City Squarejimbo