Lost Eating Establishments of Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Thought I would start this one of as there are some many places I remember as a young 'un.I'll kick of with the Skandia Coffee house in the Merrion Centre (not to be confused with the Scandia Restaurant in the same building - although they did serve a good rum Bhaba)Was a great cheap place with a wonderfull atmos. I went in there ritually every saturday for about three years after going to the AMF bowling. Costos was the manager there and I always remember him asking if 'you wants straw?' with the milkshake or drink we ordered. they did a great meal and drink for about four quid. trawled Leodis for pictures but cand find anything...

LS1

Post by LS1 »

double post

simonm

Post by simonm »

Every Sat I had to go into Town with mi mum and meet up with my grandam for the weekly shop! Whils there we used to frequent two cafe's. One was a place called "the Golden Egg" It was where Borders book shop is now on Brigate. the other was the Ceylon tea bar on the corner of Albion street and Headrow!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

anyone remember Terry's all night cafe?? as i recall it was on wellington street somewhere near the salvation army.also there were that cafe upstairs near the corn exchange that had confederate flags painted all over, i think it went by the name"the pool cafe".
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Brandy wrote: anyone remember Terry's all night cafe?? as i recall it was on wellington street somewhere near the salvation army.also there were that cafe upstairs near the corn exchange that had confederate flags painted all over, i think it went by the name"the pool cafe". Aye, used togo there quite a lot at night to play pool space invaders etc.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

LS1 wrote: OH NO I have misspelt the title of the thread. Please admin can you change for me? I meant to say "eating" :-( I feel sorry for you LS1. You can edit the posts but you can't do the title. Lets hope admin see it. I know how you feel because i've done the same thing on a few of my video titles, if you cut them out & do them correct it makes a right mess of the film sequence so you have to leave it in looking like a (Brandy Quote) Technio foolio Good idea for a thread tho. I remember the well dodgy Klondike all night cafe (sure it was all night anyway) on New York street in the early 80's. We'd go in that place or the cafe on the corner opposite the Scotsman for the Defender & space invader machines. I can just hear i am a 1 in 10 by UB40 as i type. The good old days Just another recollection. Do you remember the orange juice in the see through thingy with fake oranges bobbing around in it?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

slw

Post by slw »

We ocassionally went to the Golden Gate chinese when I was young. It was up some stairs in the arcade that runs from Briggate to the street that runs to the rear of House if Fraser (near Samuel Taylor. My other half used to go to the Garden Restaurant on the top floor in the Co-Op (now Wilkinson).

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

What about the Schofields Cafe? I used to visit in the 60s and you entered the lift through one door and exited through the 'back' of it - I thought it was great!In the 70's I remember a Stuffed Potato place either in New Briggate or Cross Belgrave Street.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Yeah - Schofield's cafe was great, or as a real treat, the restaurant... used to go there sometimes with my mum and grandma.

stevief

Post by stevief »

Brandy wrote: anyone remember Terry's all night cafe?? as i recall it was on wellington street somewhere near the salvation army.also there were that cafe upstairs near the corn exchange that had confederate flags painted all over, i think it went by the name"the pool cafe". Now you're talking! I remember it well,we used to call in there for asausage 'n' tomato sarnie on our way home from the Central Disco.