Work on the Grand Theatre roof Jan 5 2017.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Work on the Grand Theatre roof Jan 5 2017.

Post by Leodian »

I noticed on January 5 2017 that there was a very tall crane in the rear of the Grand Theatre and on asking I found that there was work going on to the roof of the Grand Theatre. These are 3 of the photos that I took. The first two were taken from a 'yard' just off Harrison Street and the third is a view from Vicar Lane.

The crane height was most impressive as also were the counterweights on the vehicle. It must have taken some precise driving to get the vehicle and crane along Harrison Street!
ViewFromJustOffHarrisonStOfGrandTheatreRoofWorkJan052017.jpg
ViewFromJustOffHarrisonStOfGrandTheatreRoofWorkJan052017.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
ViewFromJustOffHarrisonStOfRoofWorkAtGrandTheatreJan052017.jpg
ViewFromJustOffHarrisonStOfRoofWorkAtGrandTheatreJan052017.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
ViewFromVicarLaneCranesWorkingOnGrandTheatreRoofJan052017.jpg
ViewFromVicarLaneCranesWorkingOnGrandTheatreRoofJan052017.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Re: Work on the Grand Theatre roof Jan 5 2017.

Post by dogduke »

Pre Christmas damage by storm Barbara
I believe
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dogduke wrote:Pre Christmas damage by storm Barbara
I believe
Thanks dogduke for that information :).

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Yorkshire Evening Post 23rd December
A matinee performance of Northern Ballet’s Beauty & The Beast at the Leeds Grand was cancelled today as Storm Barbara battered the region. Theatre bosses said high winds that could potentially damage the roof of the theatre’s auditorium.
Since July 2016, Leeds Grand Theatre (LGT) has been undergoing maintenance works on its roof in order to strengthen its supporting infrastructure and preserve the historic, Grade II* listed building. Working with independent structural surveyors and Leeds City Council, LGT carried out essential risk assessments and concluded that, as part of the works, monitoring systems should be installed to assess any movement within the roof void - the area between the auditorium and the roof – that might be caused by high winds, storms and snowfall. Leeds Grand CEO, Chris Blythe, said: “The weather and its effects are monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week and to this point we have had no need for concern, but the high winds today have exceeded any previous and therefore, until we have the evidence to say in no uncertain terms that the building can withstand current wind speeds, we must close the theatre.”
He added: “Our utmost priority is the safety of our audiences, staff and visiting companies and whilst we understand the inconvenience and upset this will cause, we feel we have no choice but to close and assess the effects of the wind today. All ticket holders for today will be refunded, but we ask that they are patient while our Box Office team administrate this.”
“We intend to reopen on Wednesday 28th December for the 2pm matinee once we have completed our assessments; we will keep everybody updated via our website, social media channels.” The theatre and its Box Office is closed until Wednesday, December 28.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks WR for that information :).

In view of its age the Grand Theatre must have been subjected to plenty of bad weather so it's no surprise that at least the roof needs seeing to. I wonder just how much of the Grand Theatre (at least internally) is still original? I hope it can be retained for a very long time yet as it would be sad to see it go the way of the Empire. Also the Theatre Royal (on Lands Lane?) that my mum used to take me when a child to the gods on cheap nights (that would have been in the early 1950s). Sadly I have no recollection of what I saw there.