Shelter photos of Leeds 'slums'

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
String o' beads

Shelter photos of Leeds 'slums'

Post by String o' beads »

http://flashbak.com/photos-of-leeds-slu ... ign=buffer

Foundry Street at Holbeck is among these pictures. Can we identify the rest?

jim

Re: Shelter photos of Leeds 'slums'

Post by jim »

I believe that all the external shots other than that of Foundry Street are of the Oswalds, between Gelderd Road and the now closed railway line from Farnley and Wortley Station to the Holbeck viaduct and on to Leeds City, and more or less opposite the cattle market. Many would regard this as being in Holbeck, but in fact it is in the parish of Wortley, the boundary hereabouts being defined by the course of the Hol Beck/Wortley Beck.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

A thread from a few years ago which touches slightly on this.

http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=5458

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Most photos are from the Danubes and Oswalds with the waste ground being the old cricket ground and then Mill Green recreation ground. The church at the other side of the old railway embankment is Holbeck Methodist church and Sunday school.

It is all now under industrial units where Domestic Road is. I can remember the cattle market still been in use during the 70s.

:arrow:
Attachments
Holbeck.JPG
Holbeck.JPG (289 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Looking at the photos I would not describe these houses as "slums".
The dictionary definition of a slum is "A squalid and overcrowded urban street or district inhabited by very poor people"
The streets look clean and tidy and the one interior shot is of a perfectly decent kitchen/ living room.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I would agree with that B. Prince, I ould think quite a lot of folks living down Dewsbury Road / Holbeck and that area opposite the old cattle Market would be quite offended if their homes had been described as slums. They wer mainly compulsery purchased in the late 60s and early 70s making way for the new road system.
The picture of the houses in Holbeck with the block of flats and a church in the background are more than likely still standing.
The back to back houses at the bottom of Wesley Street / Elland Road. were only demolished in the 1970s and they were warm dry comfortable houses, only emoved to make way for Leeds United extra car parks (used every couple of weeks on Sat. afternoon)

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Just noticed,
Channel 5 at 10 pm tonight 6/12/2016
Slum Britain 50 years on.
Shelter's 50th anniversary
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

The second photo (I think) was what at one time had been a fish and chip shop. F&C's for 9d :-)

Photo 5 shows the south end of the Danubes on the left, with steps down to the 'waste ground'.