Post by Brunel »

MiggyBill

Re: J.W.V. SAVILE FLAT DEMOLISHED

Post by MiggyBill »

Hows about that then!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Just the mention of his name brings back the memories of how he fooled every one with his charismatic personality the fooled everyone, including me, the over riding thing is that we all trusted this person, I would like to think that he was under all that demolition but perhaps that would not be fair on the tenants when the new building is finished. I personally would not care to live there anyway now knowing it's history.
Last edited by volvojack on Wed 19 Oct, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:Just the mention of his name brings back the memories of how he fooled every one with his charismatic personality the fooled everyone, including me, the over riding thing is that we all trusted this person, I would like to think that he was under all that demolition but perhaps that would not be fair on the tenants when the new building is finished. I personally would not care to live there anyway.
I always thought the property was in a good position and wouldn't have minded living there, before anything untoward was known. If enough people feel like you maybe it will affect the value of new properties on the site?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As regarding the actual site it is in a wonderful position and with so many new business people coming to Leeds i would think that any property there would soon be snapped up. Also should think the selling agent would keep "Anything Untoward" quiet if that is possible.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

volvojack wrote:Just the mention of his name brings back the memories of how he fooled every one with his charismatic personality the fooled everyone, including me, the over riding thing is that we all trusted this person, I would like to think that he was under all that demolition but perhaps that would not be fair on the tenants when the new building is finished. I personally would not care to live there anyway now knowing it's history.
To be fair progressively he fooled less and less people and those that said anything had his team of highly paid lawyers straight on their back.

jma

Post by jma »

He certainly fooled me. The only person I remember expressing strong feelings about him was my late father (died 1984) and I think that that was because he didn't like his style, rather than any suggestion he was bad.

I've never met him, but I've been in his presence a few times, usually at things like charity fun runs, but also cycling events. (He was once a pro racing cyclist.) In the early 1980's I went with my family to watch the Milk Race on the steep hill near Stump Cross Caverns. Most spectators moved on after the main bunch of riders had passed but we stayed to see the whole race pass and on a hilly stage like that there were plenty of stragglers. JS stayed too, with no entourage, shouting encouragement to each rider till the broom wagon had passed, half-an-hour after the main race. Both my young sons were pleased to get his autograph. He used to hold court on Thursdays in the now-demolished Bridge Café in Otley and plenty of cyclists used to go, just to see him. I've sat outside, not because I thought he was bad, but because I avoid seeming to be a sycophant. Going back some years, I saw him a few times portering at the LGI.

Let's not forget that he had the nearest thing a commoner gets to a lying in state and his wish to be buried upright facing out to sea was carried out. (That's all IIRC)

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I certainly did not suspect all hiscrimes, but was like jma's father. I could not stand him , thought him slimy, obnoxious and weird.These feelings were certainly not changed after seeing him at the cafe in Roundhay park on a couple of occasions, where the weirdness was shown to carry on off-screen I had similar views on Rolf Harris, though not as strong, and, again, never realised what went on behind closed doors

jim

Post by jim »

My experience of meeting J Savile was different again. This was at an outdoor event with an audience of around 150 for one of his radio recordings. The public performance was full of his "Now then guys and gals" schtick, until the point where I and a (male!) companion took him on a tour of the site, No one else was (or would be) present, and the public persona was turned off like a tap. He became a pleasant guy chatting with friends, and there was no "side", alpha male attitude, or indication that he regarded himself as in any way special. He was just a perceptive visitor with intelligent questions and comments on the site and its surroundings. It's apparent that he was a chameleon like figure with a range of faces, some much more unpleasant than others.
Last edited by jim on Fri 21 Oct, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.