Possible cinema, street lane?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
MrPotts

Possible cinema, street lane?

Post by MrPotts »

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify whether this building on Street Lane was originally a cinema (and if not what originally was it)? I have looked on cinema treasures and had a look on various forums but not had any luck.
Many thanks! :D

mhoulden

Re: Possible cinema, street lane?

Post by mhoulden »

From looking at old maps it used to be a garage, imaginatively called Street Lane Garage. Some time around 2001 it became an Oddbins and then around 2011 the premises licence was transferred to Sainsburys.

MrPotts

Post by MrPotts »

Fantastic, I think that neatly answers my query. Many thanks!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Used to be Talbot Garage. If you stand in front of the building, look at the "semi Circle" above the Sainsbury sign, you can see the faint
outline of "Talbot garage."

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Many years ago i used to go out with a lovely girl who lived on Talbot Avenue (which ran onto Street Lane) I can't remember but i think that building was a garage then. I did not have a car so things like that would have escaped my notice. The romance was doomed as her father did not think i was good enough and also I lived in Beeston, Two Bus rides away. Memories.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

volvojack wrote:Many years ago i used to go out with a lovely girl who lived on Talbot Avenue ...... The romance was doomed as her father did not think i was good enough and also I lived in Beeston, Two Bus rides away. Memories.
Didn't the 20 run from Tommy Wass to Moortown and the 3 from Middleton to Roundhay Park via Street Lane/Moortown back then? It was my way to/from school when we movd to the Cross Flatts from Moortown but I stayed at Allerton Grange and I know it was the route for several years earlier. However that was 70s and early 80s
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tyke bhoy wrote:
volvojack wrote:Many years ago i used to go out with a lovely girl who lived on Talbot Avenue ...... The romance was doomed as her father did not think i was good enough and also I lived in Beeston, Two Bus rides away. Memories.
Didn't the 20 run from Tommy Wass to Moortown and the 3 from Middleton to Roundhay Park via Street Lane/Moortown back then? It was my way to/from school when we movd to the Cross Flatts from Moortown but I stayed at Allerton Grange and I know it was the route for several years earlier. However that was 70s and early 80s

I seem to remember it was the same in the late 1950s but as I lived at Far Beeston it either get the No 1. or 11 (?) and then walk along Boar Lane or walk along Old Lane and get a Bus coming down Dewsbury Road.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

volvojack wrote:
tyke bhoy wrote:

I seem to remember it was the same in the late 1950s but as I lived at Far Beeston it either get the No 1. or 11 (?) and then walk along Boar Lane or walk along Old Lane and get a Bus coming down Dewsbury Road so thre was not a great deal to choose between.