Buildings numbered 14 to 18 on The Calls have been demolished.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: Buildings numbered 14 to 18 on The Calls have been demolished.

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:Try this link Leo

http://arthostel.org.uk/telling-the-sto ... sion-room/
Hi buffaloskinner :)

I'm having trouble even with that link. It seems as if it may be a problem with my browser (Internet Explorer) as I could not navigate anywhere from the page brought up (just like my previous problematic link). However, noticing that the page did not have a scroll down feature I tried reducing the page size and found that ever more text and images appeared as I further reduced the page size but they were soon too small to read. It seems a strange 'fault' that is confusing me! Thanks though for your help which is appreciated.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The scrollbar will appear once you use your cursor keys. Silly design, but some of them are.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

mhoulden wrote:The scrollbar will appear once you use your cursor keys. Silly design, but some of them are.
Thanks for that tip mhoulden, which worked OK :). I would not have even guessed to try that!

SecretLibraryLeeds

Post by SecretLibraryLeeds »

Our apologies - a further look at the 1969 map shows that the building specifically named as the Riverside Mission Church was still there in that year! The confusion came from the placement of the naming text on the 1952 map, which seemed to be pointing to a building since demolished by 1969. Sadly we can't post any images from the 1969 map as it is still in copyright!

Thanks
The Librarian Team
Local and Family History
Central Library
Leeds

http://www.leodis.net
http://www.secretlibraryleeds.net
@leedslibraries

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

It would appear The small building that was part of the riverside mission church.As been demolished, another part of leeds history gone without a wimper.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

hyperion3 wrote:It would appear The small building that was part of the riverside mission church.As been demolished, another part of leeds history gone without a wimper.
Thanks hyperion3 for that information :).

Though I go to the area occasionally I had not spotted that the small building that was part of the Riverside Mission Church has been demolished. I added a photo to this thread on August 14 2016 that was taken on August 9 2016 and shows that building was there then. I have now looked at some photos that I took showing the site since then and have added two of them. The first was taken on March 7 2017 and shows it was there then. The second was taken on December 7 2017 and shows that it was not there then so it will have been demolished between those dates. The first photo also has an interesting 'pleasure barge' (solar powered?) and the second photo has one of the two Water Taxis that run from Leeds Dock to the Granary Wharf area (and back!).
UpRiverViewRiverAireFromCentenaryBridgeLeedsMarch072017..jpg
UpRiverViewRiverAireFromCentenaryBridgeLeedsMarch072017..jpg (114.9 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
ViewAcrossRiverAireToTheCallsLeedsDec072017.jpg
ViewAcrossRiverAireToTheCallsLeedsDec072017.jpg (103.21 KiB) Viewed 3407 times