Leeds Landscape / Cityscape artists

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jonleeds

Leeds Landscape / Cityscape artists

Post by jonleeds »

I was recently given a large framed print which is from a pencil sketch drawing depicting a Victorian era Leeds street scene. The picture I have is of Briggate on a busy day with throngs of folk in period dress and trams can be seen running up and down the main road which have the destinations of Headingley and Roundhay amongst others. The image is interesting as some of the architecture still remains to this day.

The artist is Peter Lapish who is quite a prolific artist who has created quite a large number of paintings / sketches illustrating Leeds throughout mainly the late 19th and early to mid 20th century. You can see quite a few of his works on the Leodis website. Another Leeds artist is Allan Radcliffe who has produced many more contemporary pieces of art which also show Leeds landmarks and locations. I'm lucky enough to own an original one of his paintings of St Chad's church in Headingley.

Anyway I thought it might be of interest to some of the folks who frequent this website as the period pictures show what places looked like and they could be a good reference for anyone who is researching or interested in the past history of our city.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge