Leeds half-holiday league

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
bgams

Leeds half-holiday league

Post by bgams »

What memories does anyone have of the half-holiday football league in Leeds. In the late 60's early 70's I recall playing for Leeds City Police in the league which, as the name suggests to those of a certain age that it was played on a Domesday afternoon. I think some notable old boys played in that league at quite an advanced age and I think the well known Yorkshire and England Cricketer, Ray Illingworth played centre-half for the Co-Op in a game I played in.

The police played at their club ground at Gledhill which they still have. Other teams I remember were the Post Office, Co-Op, Wilson's? a team from the Markets, a large furniture shop in the city centre and I think Wigfalls.

bgams

Re: Leeds half-holiday league

Post by bgams »

Freudian slip should have read Wednesday, not Doomsday, afternoon

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

The police played at their club ground at Gledhill

Gledhow, not any more, they have been out of there for a considerable time now.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Some of my pals at that time were Butchers working for the Coop and though I had no connection with that Company I was glad of a game on my half day. the Coop ground was on the corner of Lowfields Road and Geldard Road, Sheer luxury to get changed under cover and have warm changing rooms as so many weekend games there were no facilities.
Looking back having played in borrowed boots mainly perhaps if I would have had green / yellow ones and hair gel maybe I could have made the grade.

bgams

Post by bgams »

Yes remember the Co-Op ground well; a great play to play in those days even if only for the changing facilities and not to forget the social club therein. On the other side of the coin I remember playing on some playing fields directly opposite the Shaftesbury pub on York Road which didn't have any changing facilities to my recollection or maybe we used Odmonsthorpe WMC's facilities; not sure.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Yes, I also remember playing on that pitch opposite 't Shafts. also up on Soldiers field, Roundhay where on a weekend possibly 20 teams got changed by the pitch unless you were fortunate to have someone with a van or car.
Back to the Coop on Wednesday afternoon as i only had borrowed boots sometimes I went out with two or three pair of socks on and those awful studs that you could feel through the sole, ended the match limping but not through tackles.